New contact centre opening times
Contact Centre opening times will be changing from Monday 28 October, find out the revised opening hours.
Newcastle City Council operates approximately 2,200 on-street parking places.
Parking charges on the street in Newcastle city centre are operational every day of the week, with charges also applying on certain days in areas outside the city centre. Charges apply throughout the year, including Bank Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, 25 December.
The method of charging for parking on the street is as follows:
Payment at a ticket machine or by cashless parking at the locations where payment by mobile phone was introduced from Monday 19 September 2016. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, on the days for the location, as indicated on the ticket machine. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, every day in the City Centre. These charges also apply between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday outside of the City Centre. Motorists are required to pay the appropriate fee between these hours. Details of the charges and any maximum stay periods can be found on each ticket machine.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to email@example.com, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
The Alive after Five initiative that operates in most of the Council operated multi-storey car parks does not apply for on-street parking areas. Further details about Alive after Five can be found here.
Motorists are advised to carry a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change.
Current road closures/event parking/suspended bays affecting access to on-street parking areas:
- On 22 October 2019 the capacity of pay and display bays on Shakespeare Street will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- Until further notice, on Pitt Street there will be a reduced number of pay and display bays and 1 loading bay and 1 disabled bay have been suspended as part of an ongoing reservation.
- Due to a construction project, the entire length of Rutherford Street will be closed until 05 November 2020.
- From 28 October 2019 until the completion of highway maintenance work, Clayton Street will be closed between the junctions with Westgate Road and Newgate Street and between the junctions with Nun Street and Newgate Street due to re-surfacing work and the re-application of road markings. This will affect access to goods vehicle loading bays; electric vehicle charging bays; taxi bays; pay and display bays and disabled bays;
- On 7 November 2019, the entire length of Hood Street will be closed between 11.00am and 9.00pm to assist with the switch on of the Christmas Lights in the city centre. During this period there will be no public access to pay and display bays; loading bays; disabled bays and the motorcycle bay at this location.
- Road closures will be in place on Shakespeare Street on the following dates and times to allow for the safe loading and unloading of equipment into the Theatre Royal. During these periods there will be no access to the pay and display bays; loadings bays; taxi bays and disabled bays:
- 27 October 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 29 October 2019 between 10.00pm and 8.00am on 30 October 2019;
- 30 October 2019 between 10.00pm and 8.00am on 31 October 2019;
- 31 October 2019 between 10.00pm and 8.00am on 01 November 2019;
- 02 November 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 03 November 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 10 November 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 17 November 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am and between 2.00pm and 10.00pm.
- The capacity of pay and display bays at Pudding Chare will be subject to intermittent reductions until 11 November 2019, due to parking reservations.
- On 07 November 2019 there will be a road closure on Hood Street between 11.00am and 9.00pm to support the switch on of the Christmas lights. As the whole street is affected by the road closure, there will be no access to pay and display bays; loading bays; disabled bay; taxi bay and motorcycle bay during this period;
- On 09 November 2019, there will be a reduced capacity of pay and display bays on Leazes Terrace and St Andrews Street Upper and all bays on St James Street and Terrace Place will be unavailable from general use. This is due to a reservation to support the operation of a Newcastle United home game at St James’ Park;
- On 10 November 2019 there are road closures in the city centre to support the Remembrance day parade. The route of the march will include St Mary’s Place; Percy Street; Blackett Street; Northumberland Road and John Dobson Street. Rolling road closures will follow the route and access to parking places in these areas will be temporarily affected;
- On 28 November 2019 there will be rolling road closures in the city centre to support the Jingle Bell charity walk between 6.00pm and 9.00pm. The route includes Blackett Street (between Northumberland Street and Grey Street); Grey Street; Dean Street; Side (between Dean Street and Sandhill); Sandhill (between Side and Quayside) and Quayside (eastwards from the junction with Sandhill) and access/exit to parking places will be temporarily affected for a short period of time until the parade passes through these areas:
- A road closure affecting southbound traffic on Wellington Street will commence on 20 November 2019 and is scheduled to run until July 2020. This will reduce the capacity of limited stay/permit bays with 1 bay on Pitt Street will also affected. The road closure is due to demolition of a warehouse and construction work.
Visit our Permit Parking Schemes page for everything you need to know about areas where permit parking schemes operate and how to apply for permits if you live in an eligible property.
On-street parking provision in Newcastle
Details of on-street parking provision (as advised by the adjacent sign).
- Parking Charges on street tariffs 09.08.2019.pdf (pdf, 122kb)
- On-street disabled bays 23.09.19.pdf (pdf, 158kb)
- Loading bays (pdf, 118kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Taxi (pdf, 50kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Motorcycle (pdf, 30kb)
- Bicycle bays (pdf, 14kb)
- Taxi bays (pdf, 84.9kb)
- Motorcycle bays (pdf, 85kb)
- Shopmobility (pdf, 28kb)