Following further discussions with local leaders, the Health and Social Care Secretary, NHS Test and Trace, the Joint Biosecurity Centre (JBC), and the Chief Medical Officer for England have agreed to escalate the North East; Northumberland, North Tyneside, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Gateshead, South Tyneside, Sunderland and County Durham, to areas of national intervention.
Director of Public Health, Eugene Milne, talks about the new restrictions
From Friday 18th September, regulations will ban the following:
- Residents must not socialise with other people outside of their own households or support bubble in private homes and gardens
- Hospitality for food and drink will be restricted to table service only
- Late night restriction of operating hours will be introduced, with leisure and entertainment venues required to close between 10pm to 5am.
Residents are also advised to adhere to the following guidance to further reduce rates of infection:
- Residents should not socialise with other people outside of their own households in all public venues.
- Residents are advised to only use public transport for essential purposes, such as travelling to school or work
- Holidays should be taken within your own household or support bubble
- Residents are advised against attending amateur and semi-professional sporting events as spectators.
You can read our FAQs here
You can read the regulations in full here
Self-isolation enforcement and support
From 28 September, people who ae legally required to self-isolate will be fined if they breach the regulations. The penalty will start at £1,000 for a first offence but could increase to up to £10,000 for repeat offenders. These fines will also apply to employers who refuse to allow staff the time off work to self-isolate.
People on low incomes who are required to self-isolate may be entitled to a support payment of £500 if they are unable to work from home and have lost wages while self-isolating. You can find the full government statement on these changes here.
We will update our FAQs page as soon as full guidance is available.
CommunityNorth East calls for childcare rules change in local restrictions
CommunityStronger measures introduced in North East to tackle rising infection rates
EmploymentNew ‘Lighthouse’ laboratory to strengthen regional resilience in fight against COVID-19