New contact centre opening times
Contact Centre opening times will be changing from Monday 28 October, find out the revised opening hours.
Environmental health and pollution
The Council has a key role in identifying, monitoring, reducing and preventing pollution of the environment as well as protecting the health of those who live and work in the city.
We monitor air quality, inspect and permit industrial processes, assess potentially contaminated sites, enforce housing standards and provide advice and information on environmental protection issues.
Our officers investigate complaints about noise, smoke and other nuisances, waste crime, pollution, dogs and the condition of rented housing, and take enforcement action when necessary.
In 2018/19, the Public Safety and Regulation Division received and responded to over 26,700 service requests, incidents, reports and complaints.
- Animal health and licensing
- Better Business for All
- Cooling towers and condensers notification
- Dog fouling
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Household hazardous waste and asbestos
- Investigations and enforcement policies
- Licences and permits
- Pest control
- Private sector housing licensing
- Recycling, rubbish and waste
- Trading Standards
- Vehicles and the environment
Need more information?
Public Safety & Regulation
Newcastle upon Tyne
Telephone: 0191 278 7878
Pages in this area
- Air pollution
- Contaminated land
- Dog warden service
- Fixed penalty notices - environmental/community protection
- Health Act 2006 - Smoke-free places
- Pollution control, inspection and permitting
- Private sector housing enforcement
- Radioactive substances
- Sky lanterns and helium balloons
- Statutory nuisance
- Waste management - duty of care
- Water quality and pollution