Newcastle City Council operates approximately 2,200 on-street parking places.
- On Street Parking Tariffs (pdf, 38kb)
Parking charges on the street in Newcastle are operational every day of the week and apply throughout the year, including Bank Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, 25 December.
The method of charging for parking on the street is as follows:
Payment at a ticket machine or by cashless parking at the locations where payment by mobile phone was introduced from Monday 19 September 2016. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, every day in the City Centre. These charges also apply between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday outside of the City Centre. Motorists are required to pay the appropriate fee between these hours. Details of the charges and any maximum stay periods can be found on each ticket machine.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
The Alive after Five initiative that operates in most of the Council operated multi-storey car parks does not apply for on-street parking areas. Further details about Alive after Five can be found here.
Motorists are advised to carry out a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change.
Current road closures affecting access to on-street parking areas:
• Due to a construction project, the entire length of Rutherford Street will be closed from 25 September 2017 until 25 March 2019;
• All pay and display bays on Horatio Street will be suspended from general use from 10.30pm to 11.30pm on Friday 25 May 2018; Saturday 26 May 2018 and Monday 28 May 2018 as part of a road closure programme taking place in the area to support the This is Tomorrow Event.
• Following the success of previous years events at St James’ Park the Super League Magic Weekend returns to Newcastle for the weekend of Saturday 19 May 2018 and Sunday 20 May 2018. Motorists are advised that the following arrangements around St James’ Park will be in place to support this major event in the city:
- Road closures will be in place to ensure the safety of supporters attending the matches from 6.00am on Saturday 19 May 2018 until 7.45pm on Sunday 20 May 2018 on Back St James Street; Leazes Terrace; Strawberry Lane; Strawberry Place; St James Street and St James Terrace with access limited to emergency vehicles only;
- Permit parking schemes operate in some of the streets close to St James Park, so motorists parking in on-street areas are advised to check signage to ensure they are complying with parking restrictions;
- St Andrews Street Upper pay and display bays and disabled bay will be reserved from use on both Saturday 19 May 2018 and Sunday 20 May 2018, but the taxi bay will remain in use.
Visit our Permit Parking Schemes page for everything you need to know about areas where permit parking schemes operate and how to apply for permits if you live in an eligible property.
On-street parking provision in Newcastle
Details of on-street parking provision (as advised by the adjacent sign).