Newcastle City Council operates approximately 2,200 on-street parking places.
- On Street Parking Tariffs (pdf, 41kb)
Parking charges on the street in Newcastle city centre are operational every day of the week, with charges also applying on certain days in areas outside the city centre. Charges apply throughout the year, including Bank Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, 25 December.
The method of charging for parking on the street is as follows:
Payment at a ticket machine or by cashless parking at the locations where payment by mobile phone was introduced from Monday 19 September 2016. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, on the days for the location, as indicated on the ticket machine. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, every day in the City Centre. These charges also apply between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday outside of the City Centre. Motorists are required to pay the appropriate fee between these hours. Details of the charges and any maximum stay periods can be found on each ticket machine.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to email@example.com, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
The Alive after Five initiative that operates in most of the Council operated multi-storey car parks does not apply for on-street parking areas. Further details about Alive after Five can be found here.
Motorists are advised to carry a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change.
Current road closures affecting access to on-street parking areas and event parking:
• Due to a construction project, the entire length of Rutherford Street will be closed from 25 September 2017 until 25 March 2019;
• There are temporary road closures in Newcastle City Centre between 2.00pm and 3.15pm on Sunday 26 August 2018. Motorists are advised that during this period traffic around Blackett Street; St Marys Place; Barras Bridge and Claremont Road could be subject to delays.
• The Newcastle Mela event will take place in Exhibition Park on Sunday 26 August 2018 and Monday 27 August 2018. On-street pay and display parking is available at a number of locations close to the event. Please be aware that on-street parking in locations close to the city centre, such as Claremont Road Lower; Queen Victoria Road; St Thomas Street (which becomes permit parking only after 6.30pm through to 8.00am) and St Thomas Terrace have 2 hour maximum stays. On-street areas further away from the city centre, such as Devonshire Terrace; Kensington Terrace and Park Terrace have 5 hour maximum stays, while areas such as Claremont Road Upper; Hunters Road Richardson Road and Sheraton Street do not have a maximum stay. Cashless parking by PayByPhone is available across these locations. Please check ticket machines for details of the parking arrangements at the location.
• The Newcastle Allotment and Garden Fete will be held in Leazes Park between 11.00am and 5.00pm on both Saturday 01 September 2018 and Sunday 02 September 2018. For people wishing to attend this event on-street pay and display parking is located at Leazes Crescent; Leazes Terrace; Queen Victoria Road and St Thomas Street with a 2 hour maximum stay. On-street parking is also available at Richardson Road where there is no maximum stay in place. Cashless parking bu mobile phone is in operation at all these locations.
• Due to a series of road closures in the Quayside area between 6.00am and 8.00pm on Saturday 08 September 2018 to support the operation of the Junior Great North Run, the following on-street parking places will not be available on this date:
o Akenside Hill
o Broad Chare
o King Street
o Lombard Street
o Quayside West
o Queen Street
Visit our Permit Parking Schemes page for everything you need to know about areas where permit parking schemes operate and how to apply for permits if you live in an eligible property.
On-street parking provision in Newcastle
Details of on-street parking provision (as advised by the adjacent sign).