Key junctions in the west of the city
With new housing developments planned in the west of Newcastle, we have identified problem junctions that need investment to improve efficiency and journey time reliability, as well as provide greener and more active travel choices and improving road safety. In Autumn 2019, we asked people for their comments on re-designs for the junctions listed below:
- Brunton Road/Brunton Lane
- Ponteland Road/Station Road
- Ponteland Road/Etal Lane
- Ponteland Road/Harehills Ave
- Ponteland Road/Springfield Road
- Stamfordham Road/Pooley Road
- Stamfordham Road/Springfield Road
Many thanks to everyone who took part - to read what people had to please click this link.
We have used the comments to amend designs where possible, and to fix the designs ready to undertake the legal process to approve the designs. We have secured Housing Infrastructure Funding (HIF) to support contributions secured from developers and to deliver improvements at these junctions.
- Brunton Road / Brunton Lane
- Ponteland Road / Station Road
- Stamfordham Road / Pooley Road
- Stamfordham Road / Springfield Road
- A1 / Stamfordham Road*
- A69 Blucher Interchange*
*We are currently working with Highways England on the design of these improvements given their proximity to the Strategic Road Network. These designs will also go through the statutory consultation process at the appropriate time.
We currently do not have any funding secured to deliver improvements on the Ponteland Road Corridor. We will use the comments received through this engagement exercise to refine the proposals, ready to submit to any appropriate funding sources, and undertake statutory consultation when the opportunity presents.
Did you know?
In 2015, a huge study was carried out across Newcastle's roads to identify key junctions that where improvements would be required as new housing developments are delivered. Many of the junctions listed below were identified in that research. You can read more here
- Improvements to Brunton Road/Brunton Lane junctions
- Improvements to Ponteland Road/Station Road
- Improvements to Ponteland Road/Etal Lane
- Improvements to Ponteland Road/Harehills Avenue
- Improvements to Ponteland Road/Springfield Road
- Improvements to Stamfordham Road/Pooley Road
- Improvements to Stamfordham Road/Springfield Road