Our site is in Beta Live, we welcome your feedback to help us improve the site.
Looking after your bins
Newcastle is your city and your home. In order to help keep the city looking as tidy and possible please remember to look after your bins.
If your bin is lost, damaged or stolen there is a charge of £25 towards the cost of the replacement bin.
- Remember to put bins out for collection for 6.30am on your bin day and return them to your property as soon as possible after collection. That may be the front garden or a back yard, ideally behind a closed gate or fence.
- Make sure you keep your bins secure and safe. This helps prevent bins being set on fire or stolen, and helps reduce the risk of identity theft.
- If you place bins out for collection the night before it is due, you run the risk of the bin being contaminated by others, stolen, damaged or sifted through.
- Always clearly mark your bins and caddy with your property number or name. This helps to discourage bin thefts and helps the collection crews.
- To make sure your green bin lasts as long as possible, remember to give it a clean with bleach or disinfectant every now and again. Always bag your domestic waste securely. This helps prevents maggots and flies. We do not have a bin cleaning service but there are businesses in the area that do.
- Remember do not overfill the bin or put in things that are too heavy. Make sure the bin lid is fully closed on collection day. If it isn’t, this increases the chance of the lid being broken during collection.
- Make sure you put the right bin out on the right day. If you are not sure you can always check what bins your neighbours are putting out, or you can use our online bin day checker.
- If you have a vehicle parked in the lane or on neighbouring streets please leave sufficient space for our wagons to get access on bin day, especially at any junctions.
Did you know?
If you have a standard blue recycling bin you need a black glass caddy. Glass items such as clean bottles, and jam jars need to go in here in order to be recycled correctly. The caddy needs to sit inside your blue bin. There is no charge to replace a lost, stolen or broken caddy. If you need a replacement, you can order one here