Support to recover from illness or to live independently

Support to recover from illness or to live independently

There are times when you may need support to live independently at home or you may need to live in supported accommodation. For example:

  • when recovering after an illness or accident
  • if you have a long-term condition or disability


Following a care and support assessment you will be referred into the Care and Support team at the council. The type of support that you are given  will depend on your needs.  The council can help you with the following:


Reablement which is a short term service given to you at home after a stay in hospital, a change in your needs or if you have lost confidence for some reason.


Rehabilitation which helps you to recover after an accident, injury or illness or support you with adjusting to a long-term illness or disability.

Did you know?

Information NOW has more information on organisations that support people with a long term condition or disability.

Need more information?

Contact Community Health and Social Care Direct:


Phone: 0191 278 8377

Contact the Reablement team:

Phone: 0191 278 2898
Address: Reablement Service, 2nd Floor, Former Westgate College, West Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 9LU

Contact the Rehabilitation team:

Phone: 0191 277 3699

Address: Connie Lewcock Resource Centre, West Denton Road, Lemington, Newcastle upon Tyne NE15 7LQ

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?