Our rehabilitation service is based at Connie Lewcock Resource Centre in Lemington, in the west of the city.
We offer 24-hour therapy led support, providing short-term specialised rehabilitation, working in collaboration with Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals
Our service supports people who:
- are recovering after a hospital admission but require additional support and interventions before returning home
- are currently in the community, requiring support to prevent a hospital stay
Our specialised team will work with you and support you to:
- regain and maintain your independence
- improve your mobility and confidence
- help you to make choices
- look after yourself
Facilities at the Connie Lewcock Resource Centre
Accommodation is on the ground floor. All bathrooms are fully equipped to enable easy access. There is a laundry service. There are 23 single bedrooms which contain a:
- hand basin
- nurse call system
- tailored beds
- Wi Fi
- sheets and towels
- three large communal lounge areas to socialise and relax
- a physiotherapy gym
- therapy kitchen
- outdoor mobility area
- gardens with seating
Our multidisciplinary team have a wealth of knowledge and expertise to help you achieve the best outcome from your stay.
During your stay, you may receive support from the following people:
- Our care colleagues including Health and Social Care Officers, Health and Social Care Coordinators, Team Leaders and Manager
- Domestic team
- Business Support Officer
- Social Worker
- Our health colleagues including Geriatrician, Dietician, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist
Visiting times and process
10:30am - 12pm
2:30pm - 4pm
6:30pm - 8pm
All visits, including weekends, must be pre-booked - Monday to Friday via our Business Support Team 9am - 5pm by calling 0191 2773699. Alternatively, you can email your request for a visiting slot to firstname.lastname@example.org Monday to Thursday. Please await confirmation of your booking.
Please be aware the person you are visiting may be participating in Therapy during these times.
If you are experiencing any flu like symptoms, please do not visit
Visits are held in the person's bedroom with a maximum of two visitors. We can accommodate larger groups; these visits will be held in our garden, training area or breakfast club space.
We will try our best to be flexible around visiting times for those people who are travelling a long way. Please speak to one of our team for more information.
Dogs can visit, though not in communal areas or the main body of the building. Please speak to a member of our team beforehand to discuss.
What to expect from your stay
Our rehabilitation service includes:
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy treatment
- Allocation of equipment to help with daily living skills
- Physical activities
- Participation in Breakfast Club, as required
- preparing for your discharge from hospital
- help to prevent you being admitted to hospital
Our team will complete an assessment of your needs and preferences; creating an individual, tailored care plan that records your aims and priorities, which will be discussed and agreed with you.
What to bring for your stay
To help make your stay comfortable, we would ask you to bring the following items with you:
- toiletries including a toothbrush and toothpaste. Fizzy denture cleaning tablets will be kept separately and locked away, as per our Health and Safety policy
- if coming to us from home, please bring your prescribed medication with you. Medication must have been dispensed by a pharmacist and have pharmacy labels with your name on. You may self-administer whilst staying with us, where appropriate.
You will need to make your own arrangements to get to GP or hospital appointments, but we may temporarily register you with Holmeside Medical Group at Chapel House.
We offer four meals a day and snacks and drinks. We can help to monitor your weight and give food supplements when appropriate. We provide meals that suit your dietary needs including:
- food intolerances and allergies
- multi-cultural diets
Our extensive range of therapy sessions include:
- digital reminiscence therapy via our Reminiscence/Rehabilitation and Interactive Therapy Activities (RITA)
- daily exercise groups
- individual physiotherapy sessions
- kitchen practice
- garden therapy sessions
- weekly dog therapy sessions from Wag & Co
- Home visits
Our social activities include:
- group activities
- arts and crafts
- service user meeting to gain feedback and plan the next week's activities
Costs and charges
Our rehabilitation beds are therapy-led. There is usually no charge for up to six weeks of support. You may be charged if you stay longer than this, in line with our Charging Policy.
Need more information?
Contact Community Health and Social Care Direct
Phone: 0191 278 8377
Contact the Rehabilitation team
Phone: 0191 277 3699
Address: Connie Lewcock Resource Centre
West Denton Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
If you would like to give us feedback on our website, please complete this short online form.