Care and support assessment

Care and support assessment

If you or someone who knows you, think you might need help because of an illness or disability, you might benefit from an assessment to see if you are eligible for support from the Council. You can request an assessment online or contact Community Health and  Social Care Direct.

What is an assessment ?

Your Council has a legal duty to establish your eligible social care needs. 

These are the areas of your life we look at: 

  • support you need to help you live independently at home
  • your finances to see if you’re eligible for some paid support from the Council

We offer information and advice on what support might be available locally.

Before the assessment:

Think about what works, where do you struggle, how you manage everyday tasks,what is important to you and what support you already have from family, neighbours an the NHS.

Who carries out the assessment?

The assessment is carried out by Council staff. You will be given the name and contact details of the person co-ordinating your assessment.

Where does the assessment take place?

In your home or the most appropriate place at the time.

Who will attend the assessment?

  • One of our social care staff  
  • We need to talk to you, but you can have people with you to support you and offer their views. This could be a carer, family member or friend, or anyone else that you trust. 

  • If you will find the assessment process difficult and you don’t have anyone to help you, we might need to arrange for someone to attend the assessment to help you get your views across. This person is called an advocate. 

Assessment questions

During the assessment, you will be asked how you manage daily activities. Staff will ask about:

  • your daily routines
  • personal care (washing and toileting)
  • meals
  • looking after your home
  • getting out and about
  • looking after your children
  • socialising

Staff will also consider whether you might be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare funding. If so, they will contact the Newcastle Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group.

After the assessment 

If your needs are eligible we will:

  • organise a financial assessment, if one is needed

  • draw up a personal care and support plan

  • give you information and advice

NHS.UK lists what will be included in your care plan.

If your needs are not eligible we will:

  • give you information and advice

You can find more information about local support available on InformationNOW . You may find these pages useful:


If you are unhappy with the outcome of your assessment, or with your proposed care and support plan, you can ask for a full written explanation of the assessment. If you’re still unhappy after reading their explanation you can make a complaint to the Council.

Did you know?

You can find more information about local support available on Information NOW . You may find these pages useful


The Council has provided the Legal & General links for information purposes only. Please note that the Council neither recommends nor endorses any products or services accessed via these links. For full details, please see their website advertising statement 

Need more information?

Contact Community Health and Social Care Direct


Phone: 0191 2788377

Mobile: 0796 8474891

Fax: 0191 278 8312

Address: Community Health and Social Care Direct,

2nd Floor,

Westgate Community Complex,

West Road,

Newcastle upon Tyne,


Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm

Helpline outside normal hours: 0191 278 7878

Contact the Emergency Duty Team for out of office hours support, 5pm to 8.30am on weekdays and 24 hours at weekends

Report abuse or neglect: 0191 278 8156

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?