Our site is in Beta Live, we welcome your feedback to help us improve the site.
We have recently reindexed our site – if you find any links that do not work, we would appreciate you letting us know about it by completing the feedback form.
St Nicholas Street improvements
We’ve now completed a series of measures which will improve cycle links between the High Level Bridge, Tyne Bridge and Central Station.
These improvements will make it easier for people to get around this area of the city both on bike and on foot.
The work that has been done includes:
- new traffic signals at the St Nicholas Street / Westgate Road junction which provides better pedestrian crossing facilities and cycle signals
- some new kerbing and paving on footways
- the introduction of new two-way cycle tracks
- road resurfacing and associated works
- improved footway crossings at the junctions of St Nicholas Street, Castle Garth and Queen’s Lane.
Similar improvements have already been made at the Gateshead end of the High Level Bridge and our works continue those improvements into Newcastle.