Active Inclusion Newcastle
Active Inclusion Newcastle is a partnership approach developed as part of the Newcastle City Council 2013-16 budget setting process. It responds to the growth in demand for information, advice and support for financial inclusion and housing advice which need to be met at the same time as resources and capacity are reducing across the council and partners. Active Inclusion Newcastle improves the coordination and consistency of information, advice and support to facilitate more partners to help residents' financial inclusion and to prevent homelessness in the context of high levels of unemployment and the cuts being delivered by the government's welfare reforms. Improved coordination helps us to reduce people's fear and uncertainty and to maximise our resources to maintain the foundations for a stable life: somewhere to live, an income, financial inclusion and employment opportunities. For more information, see our Active Inclusion Newcastle briefing note (pdf, 174kb).
The government have acknowledged the strength of our Active Inclusion Newcastle approach by making Newcastle one of three national early adopter Homelessness Prevention Trailblazers. For more information, see our Homelessness Prevention Trailblazer briefing note (pdf, 33kb).
This page includes information resources to support our collective work to prevent homelessness. For information resources which support our work to help residents' financial inclusion, visit our Welfare rights and money advice information for professionals and volunteers page.
Our partnership arrangements
- Active Inclusion Newcastle partnership arrangements (pdf, 563kb)
Trigger point conversation - information sheet
We have developed an information sheet for professionals and volunteers to support you to have a conversation with residents about housing issues
- Housing and homelessness prevention (pdf, 252kb)
Information sheets on benefits, debt and money management, financial inclusion and employment support are also available on our Welfare rights and money advice information for professionals and volunteers page.
Our Homelessness Strategy
- Newcastle's Homelessness Strategy 2014-19 (full strategy) (pdf, 729kb)
- Newcastle's Homelessness Strategy 2014-19 (executive summary) (pdf, 254kb)
- Newcastle's Homelessness Strategy 2014-19 (two page summary) (pdf, 224kb)
- Newcastle's Homelessness Strategy 2014-19 (action plan, Q4 update) (pdf 321kb)
- Sustaining Tenancies Guidance (pdf 540 kb)
- Moving on from supported housing in Newcastle: A Move On Protocol for Supported Housing Providers
- Preventing evictions from supported housing in Newcastle : An Eviction Protocol for Supported Housing Providers (pdf, 542Kb)
- Hospital Discharge and Homelessness Prevention Protocol
- Newcastle Supported Accommodation Drug Management Protocol
- Prohibition Orders Protocol
- Clean Homes Protocol
Our spectrum of advice
- Spectrum of advice: Housing and homelessness (pdf, 101kb)
To complement our spectrum of advice we hold quarterly 'Introduction to Housing and Homelessness in Newcastle' training sessions for those working in tier 1 and 2. These sessions offer a basic overview of homelessness legislation, an explanation of the different kinds of housing tenure and the rules that govern them, how to apply for social housing, and how to query and challenge housing and homelessness decisions. We also cover practical information about the role of the Housing Advice Centre and the policies and procedures that we and partners in Newcastle follow to prevent homelessness.
The remaining sessions for 2017 are now full. Training dates for 2018 are:
- 23 January 2018 (9.30am to 12pm)
- 25 April 2018 (9.30am to 12pm)
- 26 July 2018 (9.30am to 12pm)
- 25 October 2018 (9.30am to 12pm)
To book a place on the above training or for more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on training available on welfare benefits and budgeting and debt advice please visit the Welfare rights and money advice page.
Our evidence base
- Newcastle's Homelessness Review 2013 (pdf, 526kb)
- Evaluating Homeless Prevention in Newcastle (2011) (executive summary) (pdf, 84Kb)
- Evaluating Homeless Prevention in Newcastle (2011) (full report) (pdf, 455kb)
- Evaluation of Newcastle's 'Cooperative' Approach to the Prevention and Management of Homelessness in Light of Changing Government Policy (2013) (executive summary) (pdf, 371kb)
- Evaluation of Newcastle's 'Cooperative' Approach to the Prevention and Management of Homelessness in Light of Changing Government Policy (2013) (full report) (pdf, 1.48mb)
- Impact of the Bedroom Tax in Walker: qualitative interview study and assessment of the Your Homes Newcastle pilot intervention (2015) (full report) (pdf 1.02mb)
- Evidence submitted by Newcastle City Council to the Communities and Local Government Committee's Inquiry into Homelessness (February 2016) (pdf 236kb)
If you have any questions about any of these documents or would like more information, please email the Active Inclusion Newcastle Unit at email@example.com.