Planning for the Future - Core Strategy and Urban Core Plan for Gateshead and Newcastle upon Tyne 2010-2030
The Core Strategy and Urban Core Plan is a strategic planning framework that will guide development in Newcastle and Gateshead to 2030. It is the first part of both councils Local Plan, containing an overall vision and spatial strategy to deliver economic prosperity and create lifetime neighbourhoods. The Plan covers the whole of the area within the administrative boundaries of Gateshead and Newcastle and includes strategic policies and specific policies for the Urban Core, Sub-Areas and sites.
Examination of the Core Strategy and Urban Core Plan
Gateshead and Newcastle councils submitted the Plan to the Secretary of State for examination in February 2014. Planning Inspector Mr Martin Pike BA MA MRTPI undertook an Examination in Public into the soundness and legal compliance of the Plan. Public hearing sessions were held in June, July and October 2014. Further details from the examination are available below.
- Examination News, PDF, 515KB
The Inspector issued his Final Report in February 2015 and found the Plan “sound”, subject to a small number of changes known as ‘Main Modifications’.
Adoption of the Core Strategy and Urban Core Plan
The Plan was formally adopted by Newcastle City Council on 26 March 2015:
- Core Strategy and Urban Core Plan for Gateshead and Newcastle upon Tyne, 2010-2030, PDF, 48.04MB (Large file)
- Newcastle Policy Map, PDF, 24.4MB
- Adoption Statement, PDF, 100KB
- Sustainability Appraisal Adoption Statement, PDF, 349MB
- Interactive Policy Map - Click here to use our interactive Policy Map for the Core Strategy and Urban Core Plan.
- You can use the Key on the right hand corner to view the layers, and switch layers on or off. You can zoom in and out to get a closer look of the area you're interested in. Click-and-drag or use the arrow keys to move the move around. The different sites are colour-coded depending on the policy type. Clicking a site on the map will display a pop-up box with more information on it, and a link to view that Policy webpage and documents. Some sites have more than one layer there, you can scroll down in the pop up box to read all details.
The Plan is available in smaller sections below:
- Section 1 - Introduction, PDF, 7.51MB
- Section 2 - Spatial Vision and Strategy, PDF, 3.27MB
- Section 3 - Strategic Policies, PDF, 2.38MB
- Section 4 - Urban Core Policies, PDF, 22.82MB
- Section 5 - Site Areas and Site Specific Policies, PDF, 24.50MB
- Section 6 - Delivery and Monitoring, PDF, 302KB
- Section 7 - Endnotes and Appendices, PDF, 629KB
Key Documents and Preparation of the Plan
A number of examination documents (PDF, 107.57KB) and supporting documents (PDF, 111.51KB) supported the Examination in Public, copies of these are available at request by contacting Planning Policy on the details provided below.
The following document outlines the key stages in the Plan development
Phone: 0191 2116150