Applying for Reception places
The closing date for on-time applications has now passed.
If you submitted an on-time application you will hear the outcome on 16 April 2021. Emails are sent throughout the day.
Closing date for late applications: 12 May 2021
- Check if you can apply and which address to use
- Read the oversubscription criteria for the schools you are applying for
- Use all 4 preferences
- Put the schools in the order you want them. Preference 1 is the school you want most
- Watch the video below
Now that the Reception deadline has passed you are unable to apply online and can only make a paper application.
Making the right choice
- Find and compare schools
Use this search tool to find schools. This search tool allows you to :
- search for schools by postcode
- check school Ofsted ratings
- filter schools by religion
- Visit the school
Visiting a school helps you decide whether it's right for your child. You'll be able to speak to teacher and ask questions.
Schools may have open days or you contact them to arrange a time to view the school.
- Are you likely to be offered a place?
Each school has their own set of rules that they use to decide which children to offer a place to. This is called the oversubscription criteria and can be found in the schools admissions policy. Each oversubscription criteria is made up of different categories (you can see how these work in the example below).
You can see how places were offered in previous years in the below link:
All applications are ranked using these rules. School preference order is only used if we can offer a place in more than one school, at which point we will offer the school which is your highest preference.
- Oversubscription criteria example
- Read the oversubscription criteria for each school.
- Check which category your child comes under (see individual school's website)
Ahmed applied to North East Primary as their first preference. Ahmed's child is not offered a place there, even though they live close to the school.
There were more applications than places so the school used their oversubscription criteria to decide who to give places to. Thirty places were available:
- one place went to a child who had been adopted (category 1)
- twenty places went to children with a brother or sister at the school (category 2)
- one place went to a child with an exceptional medical need meaning they could only go to that school (category 3)
- the remaining eight places went to children who lived closer to the school than Ahmed and his child (category 4)
Instead, Ahmed was offer a place at their second preference of North Academy which also had Thirty places available:
- ten places went to children who had a brother or sister at the school (category 2)
- twenty places when to children who lived near the school, including Ahmed's child (category 4)
Did you know?
Reception Offer Day is: 16 April 2021
Need more information?
Phone - 0191 278 7878 between 9am and 2.30pm