Apply for Household Prior Notification

Apply for Household Prior Notification

Apply for Household Prior Notification 

An application for prior approval for a larger home extension should be submitted for a proposed single storey rear extension.  

A homeowner or occupier wishing to build a larger single-storey rear extension that:  

  • projects more than four metres but no more than eight metres (for detached houses); 
  • projects more than three metres but no more than six metres (for all other houses); 
  • would not exceed four metres in height; 
  • would not be located within a Site of Special Scientific Interest; 

The rules do not apply if: 

  • if work has already started
  • the extension exceeds 4 metres in height  
  • the house is in a Conservation Area; or 
  • the house is within a Site of Special Scientific Interest. 
  • The house is within the boundary of  the Frontiers of the Roman Empire (Hadrian’s Wall) World Heritage Site (you can check our map here)

For further information read Permitted development rights for householders: technical guidance and guidance notes. 


What do I have to provide? 

To avoid delays in processing your planning application it is important that you give us the following: 

  1. A written description of the proposal including 

  • the length that the extension extends beyond the rear wall of the original house (as built, not including any extension),  
  • the height to the eaves   
  • the height at the highest point of the extension  


  1. A plan must be provided that indicates the site and shows the proposed development.

The site plans should also provide written dimensions and distances from the elevations of the proposed development to both: i) The existing site boundaries and ii) The existing buildings falling within 10 metres of the development.   An example of best practice:  existing and proposed.

Accurate, to scale/dimensioned plans will help to ensure that the development can be assessed properly by neighbours and the planning officer,  and will remove the likelihood of objections based on insufficient information. 


  1. The full addresses of any adjoining properties, including at the rear  


  1. Contact details for the developer / home owner - preferably by email. 


  1. Correct fee:  £96


How do I submit a planning application?   

We recommend that you submit your application using the Planning Portal. 

Apply via Planning Portal

Read the Planning Portal Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

If you require help, you can phone the Planning Portal on: 0333 323 4589, which is available from 9am until 5pm, or email 


The benefits of using the Planning Portal are:  

  • Your application will be sent to Newcastle City Council on the same day 
  • You will receive instant email notification on receipt of electronic applications 
  • It speeds up the process 
  • You can pay online through a secure website 
  • It's paperless
  • There's online guidance to help you make your application 
  • There are useful tools to help you, like volume and fee calculators 

If you submit your application via email or hard copy, please note it will take longer to process.  

Other Ways To Apply and Pay

We encourage you to submit your application online through the Planning Portal  to help speed up the process.  

There are alternative ways to fill in application forms here.

pay online or by phone here if not paying on the Planning Portal   


The information provided on the application form, drawings and documents will be available on the internet. Please read our Privacy Notice which sets out how we use information.



What happens next?  

When you submit your application via the Planning Portal you will receive an email notification that this has been received. This means we have your application and can start to check it.

Work will then begin on checking that your application and the information you have submitted meets the national and local requirements.

If your application does not contain all the necessary information you will receive a letter outlining what is required to be submitted.

You will have 28 calendar days to provide the necessary information. Your application will not be progressed until all information has been submitted and it has been confirmed it meets all the requirements. If you do not provide this information within the time period, your application fee will be refunded and you will be required to submit a new application. It is your responsibility to provide this information.

If your application meets the requirements, we will send you a letter confirming this.  Your application will be passed to a Case Officer.  Consultation will then take place, we will serve a notice on neighbouring owners/occupiers and those who share a boundary, including to the rear. 

If we receive any objections, then prior approval would be needed. We will assess the impact of the proposed extension on the amenity of neighbours. We may then either allow the development to go ahead or refuse the application. If we refuse the application, then the applicant has a right of appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. We will issue a decision within 42 days from the date we receive a valid application. 

If we do not receive any objections, or if we fail to issue a decision with 42 days, then extension will receive approval. Following completion of the extension a completion certificate must be submitted to us.  The details of the Case Officer can be found in your letter if you wish to contact them directly.


If your application is refused 

If an application is refused, you have a right of appeal through the Planning Inspectorate. However we would recommend that you contact us prior to lodging your appeal. Some problems can be solved through minor changes to proposals.

Appeals are lodged with the Planning Inspectorate and not with Newcastle City Council. You can submit your appeal online (external link). Appeals are considered by a Planning Inspector and most are conducted through writing.

Find out more information on planning appeals.


Did you know?

Building Regulations consent is completely separate from Planning Permission and you should always check both before starting any work.

Internal and external work to your property might still need consent from Building Regulations even if you do not need Planning Permission, and vice versa.

Our colleagues in Building Control can offer advice on this. 

Need more information?

Our step by step guide to planning can help you through the process.  

An A to Z of common words used in the planning process can be found on the Planning Aid website.

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?