City Centre Resident Permits
If you live in a property in the city centre (that is within the Controlled Parking Zone - CPZ), you can apply for a City Centre Resident Permit. The area covered by the CPZ is indicated in red shading on this map. The permit is valid for all pay and display bays in on-street areas (pdf, 16kb) within the CPZ and pay and display bays in city centre car parks at all times. Car parks on the periphery of the city centre that fall outside the CPZ and where a City Centre Resident permit is not valid include Argyle Street; Blandford Square; Blandford Street East; Claremont Road; Leazes Park; Manors; Osborne Terrace; St Georges and Stadium.
The permit does not provide exemption in any other restricted use bays including Citypark permit bays in car parks or permit bays in the OB3 or WG3 zones. The maximum number of resident permits is set at 2 per dwelling.
City Centre Resident Permits cost £500.00 for an annual permit or £250.00 for a permit for 6 months. You have the option of spreading your payment across 10 monthly instalments for an annual permit or 5 monthly payments for a half-yearly permit of £50.00 per month.
How to apply
Please allow 14 days for your application to be processed. Please only complete the application form if you wish to apply for a permit. If you have any queries that are not addressed by the information on this page please contact Parking Services via email to email@example.com
- Apply Online
- Download and complete an application form (pdf, 324kb)
- Information regarding how your personal data may be collected, processed, shared and retained following your application for a permit can be found here.
How do I pay for a City Centre Resident Permit
If you have received an offer for a City Centre Resident permit or would like to renew one, payment can be made below.
Provide proof of residency
- Council tax statement; or
- Tenancy agreement (must show the dates of tenancy); or
- Bank statement; or
- Utility bill.
Provide proof of vehicle documents
- We need to establish an audit trail linking the vehicle to be named on the permit with the applicant. This can be either by the vehicle registration document (V5C) if the applicant is the named keeper of the vehicle (at the Newcastle city centre address or a different address) or a vehicle insurance schedule confirming that the resident is insured to drive the vehicle; or
- If the vehicle is a company vehicle used by the applicant we need to have supporting evidence linking the vehicle to the company and then an audit trail proving the link between the applicant and the company. A Vehicle Registration Document (V5C) or lease/hire agreement can be accepted to provide the link between the company and applicant and a P60 End of Year Tax Certificate or payslip (with financial details deleted, as appropriate) is acceptable to provide the link between the resident and the vehicle being used for work purposes; or
- If the vehicle is a private lease or hire vehicle - a copy of the lease or hire agreement to link the vehicle with the applicant.
If we have the application form, proof of residency and payment we can issue a temporary permit that provides 56 days of cover. This provides time for the vehicle documentation to be submitted to enable your permit to be upgraded to the full annual permit. You will need to provide either the vehicle log book in the applicant's name or a copy of the vehicle insurance schedule showing that the applicant is insured to drive the vehicle. Please provide this information a minimum of 14 days before your temporary permit is due to expire.
What do I do if I lose my permit or it is stolen?
We require written notification from the actual permit holder that the permit has been lost or stolen, together with payment of an administrative charge of £10.00.
Apply online for a replacement permit – Online Form
What do I do if I change my vehicle?
The permit with your old vehicle registration number will not be valid for your new vehicle (unless you have retained the same number plate). The permit holder will need to complete an online request to amend the vehicle registration. If the V5C document or insurance schedule is not immediately available, we can issue a temporary permit for 56 days, this provides time to supply the required vehicle documentation so a full permit can be issued to run until the expiry date of your original resident permit. There is an administration charge of £10.00 for amending the vehicle registration details on a parking permit.
Apply online for a change of vehicle registration – Online Form
If your vehicle has been involved in an accident and you have been provided with a temporary courtesy vehicle, please contact our offices on 0191 277 2728 between the hours of 8.30am-4.30pm Monday to Friday for advice.
What happens if my circumstances change and I no longer need the permit?
The permit should be returned to Newcastle Parking Services, P.O. Box 2BL, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE99 2BL by recorded delivery/Royal Mail signed for. This provides proof of posting and receipt. We will then revoke your permit and depending on how you paid for the permit, calculate if you are due a refund for the unexpired portion or the reduced amount you owe on a payment plan.
What are the Terms and Conditions of use?
Information on using the permit correctly can be found on Section 7 of the application form (pdf, 345kb).
What are supplementary full day scratch cards?
A maximum of 20 full day scratch cards at a cost of £5.00 each can also be applied for to provide additional coverage. If eligibility via proof of residency has already been established this does not need to be provided in a separate application for scratch cards. These full day permits are valid for use in the same areas as the annual permit. Please be aware that unused scratch cards returned to Newcastle Parking Services within 14 days of issue will be subject to a full refund of the price paid, but after this 14 day period unused scratch cards cannot be transferred or be subject to a refund.
- City Centre Resident scratch cards can be applied for separately via the following Online Form