Private housing - general information

Private housing - general information

Newcastle City Council gives housing advice and support to owner occupiers and to people living in the private rented sector or other types of private housing. We can offer advice on a number of housing related matters

Newcastle Private Rented Service

The Private Rented Service works with Private landlords, Letting agents, tenants and residents to improve the standards of the private rented sector.

We offer advice and support to both tenants and landlords.  Go to our website at for more information about your rights and responsibilities.

Contact the team at or call 0191 277 1438 between 9 am and 12 noon Monday to Friday.

Are you a private landlord?

If you own or manage property in Newcastle and need advice about tenancy issues such as preventing arrears, protecting deposits or managing tenants complaints we provide a free advice and support. 

We can also help you advertise a vacant property and find a suitable tenant.

Want to be kept up to date with property news, changes to legislation and both local and national updates? Sign up for our monthly landlord e bulletin or go to our website at to see news updates, access our free landlord handbook and landlord toolkit.

Contact us at or call our customer contact line on 0191 277 1438 between 9 am and 12 noon Monday to Friday.

Are you a tenant and need help finding a property to rent?

If you are looking to rent a property in Newcastle but cannot afford a deposit the Rent Deposit Scheme may be able to help you. We work with landlords across the city to provide Deposit Guarantees. Properties are all inspected and landlord are all signed up to our Code of Practice. Applications may take several weeks to deal with and applicants will need to comply with the terms of the scheme.

Contact the team at or call our customer contact line between 9 am and 12 noon Monday to Friday.

Housing and Council Tax Benefit Advice

For help and advice on issues about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit including:
•Finding out if you can get housing or council tax benefit
•Helping you to fill in application forms
•Helping you with problems and queries.

Please contact us on 0191 277 7899.

Private Sector Housing Standards

Regulatory Services makes sure that the private sector housing is of an acceptable standard. Powers are available to deal with a range of housing disrepair issues and also ensure that houses in multiple occupation are of a satisfactory standard and properly managed.

Complete our Housing Complaint Form or contact the Housing team in Regulatory Services on 0191 211 6102.

Housing Advice Centre

The Housing Advice Centre can give you advice about homelessness, housing and tenancy relations. For more information, contact the team on 0800 1707 008 or email 

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?