Help to move or furnish your home (Supporting Independence Scheme)

Help to move or furnish your home (Supporting Independence Scheme)

The Supporting Independence Scheme (SIS) replaced the Community Care Grant element of the Social Fund from 1 April 2013. 

The SIS is available to help residents who are on a low income (means-tested benefits) and who have a support worker to:

  • resettle in the community following a stay in an institution
  • remain in the community rather than enter an institution
  • set up home in the community, as part of a planned resettlement programme, following an unsettled way of life
  • maintain their independence (families)

Residents cannot apply directly to the scheme – they must be supported by Newcastle-based support worker/s, who will make the application on their behalf. This is because we cannot support all residents experiencing financial difficulties, and we know that people are more likely to remain independent with support.

The SIS can provide basic household items that help people to access or maintain independent accommodation - for example beds, cookers, fridges. The value of awards depends on the needs and circumstances of applicants.

To refer into the scheme, either complete the application form on Newcastle Gateway or if you don’t have access, email to request a PDF form.   

You can also find information on sourcing affordable furniture on Information NOW: Affordable furniture - Information Now.

Did you know?

If you qualify for the scheme the Supporting Independence Scheme (SIS) can help to either provide new essential household items such as cookers, fridges and washing machines or can replace these items if they have broken. 


For those struggling with money and bills, go to: Support in Newcastle for those affected by the cost of living crisis 

Need more information?

The Supporting Independence Scheme is  run by the Active Inclusion Newcastle (AIN) Unit in Newcastle City Council. For information or advice on making an application, you can contact the AIN Unit at

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?