Selective licensing of privately rented properties

The Housing Act 2004 provides Councils with the power to introduce licensing of privately rented properties in selected areas.  This requires that all private rented properties in that selected area have a licence. Certain property standards and conditions are required to be met in order for a licence to be granted.

There are currently a number of areas in Newcastle which are designated selective licensing areas.

Greater High Cross

This area has been  designated selective licensing area since 2010. Following a formal assessment and consultation process the Council introduced the current scheme which came into effect on 12 October 2015 and ended on 11 October 2020.


Byker Old Town and Allendale Road South

This area has been  designated selective licensing area since April 2011. Following a formal assessment and consultation process the Council introduced the current scheme which came into effect on 1 October 2016 and will run to no later than 30th September 2021.


Selective Licensing April 2020

A new Selective Licensing Scheme commenced on Monday 6th April 2020. Landlords had until 6th July 2020 to apply for a licence.

Selective and Additional Licensing Boundary.pdf


Standards and conditions for selective licensing

All Selective licences are subject to conditions which the licence holder must comply with either immediately or within a specified period of time. The Housing Act 2004 stipulates mandatory conditions that must be included in every licence granted. We can also impose any other specific property conditions considered necessary for regulating the management, use and occupation of premises plus its condition and contents.


Property Licensing Guidance

Following feedback from landlords the guidance document is regularly reviewed and updated. Please ensure you regularly check back to ensure you have the most up to date information (last updated 28th August 2020).


Making an application for a licence

All applications for a licence must be made online and paid in two parts as part of the application process. You will need to set up an account to complete a property licence application and to track the status of your application.

What do I need to apply?

  • room sizes and property facilities
  • details of property structure and safety equipment
  • names and addresses of persons and organisations with an interest in the property
  • payment card details
  • certificates e.g. gas safety, electrical, EPC etc.


Apply for a selective licence


Fees and Charges.pdf

Public register

All licensed properties can be viewed on our public register.  We are currently moving to a new system please also visit this public register to view new licence applications.


Frequently Asked Questions

Please follow this link to access a list of Frequently Asked Questions. This includes information on how Coronavirus may impact the delivery and compliance of Selective and HMO licensing. Please email if you have any questions which have not been answered.

This FAQ document will be updated on a regular basis



Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?