In this section you will find information on how Newcastle City Council Bereavement Services can help when you are going through a bereavement.
Hall of Remembrance (updated 4 January 2021)
Please note that due to the current national lockdown, the Hall of Remembrance is closed to the public. The Book of Remembrance is available to view online.
General Covid-19 restrictions
The maximum number of people attending a funeral service will continue to be 20. Attendees are also required to wear a face covering. The cemeteries run by the council across the city and the West Road Crematorium will continue to be open.
Further information regarding the restrictions can be found in the update below and the main website page.
Face Coverings (update 8 August 2020)
Please note the following Government guidance, effective from Saturday 8 August. This requires that face coverings must be worn in an increasing number of enclosed public places.
We therefore strongly advise that if you are one of the 20 people attending a funeral service in our chapels at West Road Crematorium that you bring and wear a face covering. Some exemptions do apply and in those cases strict social distancing must be maintained. Please see below extract from the Cabinet Office outlining guidance on exemptions.
You do not need to wear a face covering if you have a legitimate reason not to. This includes (but is not limited to):
- young children under the age of 11 (Public Health England do not recommended face coverings for children under the age of 3 for health and safety reasons)
- not being able to put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability
- if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause you severe distress
- if you are travelling with or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading to communicate
- to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others
- to avoid injury, or to escape a risk of harm, and you do not have a face covering with you
- to eat or drink if reasonably necessary
- in order to take medication
- if a police officer or other official requests you remove your face covering.
The West Road Crematorium and the cemeteries run by the council across the city are open during the following times:
April to October
- Monday to Friday, from 9am to 6.30pm
- Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays, from 10am to 4.30pm
November to March
- Monday to Friday, from 9am to 3.30pm
- Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays, from 10am to 3.30pm