Children born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014 may start school in reception class in September 2018. 

If your child lives in Newcastle, all applications for school places must be submitted to Newcastle City Council, even if you want to apply for a school in another area. We are required by law to co-ordinate the process across all schools and academies for children living in our local authority.

Apply online - Late Application

Paper - Late Application

You might find the parents guide on how to apply online helpful (pdf)

We advise parents to apply online as it is quick and easy. Your details are safe and secure, and you will receive an email to confirm that you have successfully submitted your application. You can view or make changes to your application at any time before the closing date.  And there is no risk your application will get lost in the post. You will also be able to log in on national offer day and see your child’s school offer before those who apply on paper receive their letters.

If you do not wish to apply online, you can request a paper application form from any school from 11 September 2017.  

Which schools currently have places available?

Information updated 4 June 2018

To start school in September 2018 in Reception the following schools currently have places available:

  • Bridgewater Primary School

  • Broadwood Primary School

  • Central Walker C of E Controlled Primary Academy

  • Christ Church CE Primary

  • Excelsior Academy

  • Hotspur Primary School

  • Kenton Bar Primary School

  • Lemington Riverside Primary School

  • Ravenswood Primary School

  • Simonside Community Primary School

  • St Alban's RC Primary School

  • St Catherine's Catholic Primary School

  • St Cuthbert's RC Primary School (Walbottle)

  • St George's RC Primary School

  • St Joseph's Catholic Primary School

  • St Lawrence's RC Primary School

  • St Mark's RC Primary School

  • St Michaels RC Primary School

  • St Teresa's Catholic Primary School

  • Throckley Primary School

  • Waverley Primary School

  • Welbeck Academy

  • West Denton Primary School

  • West Walker Primary Academy

  • Westerhope Primary School

  • Westgate Hill Primary Academy

When do I need to apply by?

The closing date for on time applications is midday (12 noon) on 15 January 2018.  After this date your application will be treated as late and will be processed after all the applications sent on time. This means you are unlikely to be offered a preferred school.

I’m having technical problems accessing the website, who can help?

If you have forgotten your online password, please request a new one using the “Forgotten password” option on the login page.  If you experience any other technical issues, please email us with full details to We cannot personally resolve technical issues within the Admissions team and emails will be escalated to our technical support team for priority attention.  Please note that our office hours are Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.

If I apply online should I submit a paper form as well?

No. You should submit one application. Duplicate information can slow the process down. 

How will I know if you have received my application?

Applications made online will be acknowledged by return email. If you submit a paper application form we are unable to provide a receipt unless you include a stamped addressed envelope.  You are strongly advised to obtain proof of postage in case it is lost in the post. Make sure that you use the correct postage or the post office will not deliver the envelope and it may not arrive to us before the closing date. It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is submitted on time and to provide evidence of submission if requested.

Can I change my preferences after submitting my application?

If you apply online you can change your preferences online up to the closing date of midday on 15 January 2018.  Remember to resubmit your online form every time you view it even if you have not made any changes.  You will get a confirmation email each time you do this.

If you submitted a paper application, you will need to inform us in writing about any changes to your preferences before the closing date of midday, 15 January 2018.  Please include your child’s full name and date of birth in any correspondence.

If you want to change your preferences after the closing date, you will have to send us a new paper form.  Your original application will be cancelled and replaced with your new application. The new application will be classed as late and will not be processed until the second waiting list on 4 June 2018.

Do I need to provide any additional information to support my application?

If you need to provide evidence to support your application, it will say so in the admissions policy for the school or academy. It is your responsibility to provide this in the timescale requested so that it can be considered when places are being allocated.  In most cases the deadline for submitting supporting evidence is 15 January (midday), the same as the deadline for applying for a place. Please include your child’s name and date of birth on any correspondence.   Admission authorities will not give an application priority against any of the following admission criteria unless you provide supporting evidence. The evidence you submit will be reviewed by the admission authority and either upheld or rejected.  Please note that not every school includes these criteria within their policies.

  • Faith reasons - send the school your proof of faith directly
  • Previously looked after status - send the local authority a copy of the adoption, child arrangements or special guardianship order that confirms that the child was looked after (in care) immediately prior to the order being granted.
  • Medical reasons - Some schools, but not all, give priority to children and/or parents with medical conditions. If you wish for your application to be considered on medical grounds you must send the local authority a letter from an appropriate health professional explaining why the named school is the only school that the child can attend. Before applying please check the school's oversubscription criteria within the admission policy to ensure medical reasons are considered.

You may also be asked by the school or local authority to provide proof of your address.   

Can I tell you my reason for wanting a particular school?

Yes but we can only look at information directly related to your application where it means that you qualify under an admission rule. Any other information will not be taken into account.  “The school is easy to get to”, “the school is near grandparents who will be helping with the school run”, “cousins attend that school”, “I’ve visited the school and really like it”, “all my child’s friends go there”, “my child went to the school’s nursery” are all examples of information that will not have any bearing on your application.

Which address should I use for my child's application?

By law you must use the permanent address at the time of application at which your child is living with a parent or the person with parental responsibility. The address of a childminder or relatives must not be used.  We carry out address checks and may ask for additional proof of address. Using a false address is taken extremely seriously (it is committing fraud). If not convinced your address is genuine, we will withdraw any offer of a school place and may take other further action.

If your child lives at more than one address Monday to Friday (for example due to a separation) the address used should be where your child lives most of the time. Only one address can be used. If your child lives at two addresses, the local authority will consider the evidence available such as the address of the parent/carer that claims the child benefit or child tax credit. If these benefits are not claimed, evidence of the address where the child is registered with a GP will be accepted in order to determine what will be considered to be the child’s main address. It is the parent/carer's responsibility to prove residency if requested.

What address do I use on my application if I am moving house?

The address you give on your child’s application must be your child’s permanent address at the time of application. If you move house after submitting your application, write to us with proof of your new address which can be (1) a letter from your solicitor (or builder if your house is a new build) confirming your completion date or (2) a signed rental agreement that shows the start of your tenancy.  You must also provide proof that you and your child are resident at the new address.

  • For your new address to be used for national offer day we must have received evidence by 2 February 2018 which confirms that you are resident at the new address.
  • For a new address to be used for the second waiting list run we must have received evidence by 14 May 2018 which confirms that you are resident at the new address.

We are a service family being posted to Newcastle.  How do we apply for a school place?

If you live in England, you should apply for a reception place to your home local authority; if you live anywhere else, apply directly to us.  Please also contact us directly and forward an official Ministry of Defence, Foreign Commonwealth Office or Government Communication Head Quarters letter which confirms your relocation date and quartering area address.  The application and supporting evidence must be received

  • By 2 February 2018 to be used for national offer day allocations
  • By 14 May 2018 to be used for the second waiting list run
Page last updated: 
5 June 2018
Was this page useful?