All waste must be contained in your bin. We don’t collect any side waste and you may receive a fixed penalty notice (£75) if you put out loose waste.
Green bin: household waste
Your green wheelie bin is for household and food waste, and waste that cannot be recycled.
Please do not place the following items in your green bin:
- Recyclable materials.
- Rubble and bricks.
- Vehicle parts.
- Items which may make the bin too heavy.
- Commercial/trade waste.
Blue bin: recycling
Use the main part of your blue bin to recycle the following items, placed inside loose without bags:
- Empty aerosol cans
- Cartons and egg boxes (flattened).
- Plastic bottles (flattened, bottle tops removed). Not margarine tubs, yoghurt pots or fruit punnets.
- Cardboard (flattened).
- Newspaper, magazines and paper (no plastic coated paper or bound files).
- Shredded paper (in an untied bag).
- White and brown envelopes.
- Telephone directories and yellow pages.
- Food and drink cans (rinsed and squashed).
- Foil and foil trays (rinsed).
- Biscuit tins.
Use the black caddy inside your blue bin to recycle:
- Glass bottles and jars (rinsed).
- Batteries (place in a clear plastic bag).
If you live in a multi-occupancy building or flat, you may have a communal recycling bin. In some cases we may provide an additional bin for glass, rather than an internal caddy.
Brown bin: garden waste
To help you keep a tidy garden your brown bin garden waste collection will accept all your garden trimmings, cuttings, prunings, leaves and weeds.
Please place this waste loosely in your bin, not in plastic bags or sacks.
The following vegetation should not be placed in your bin:
- Branches, logs, or roots more than 10cm (4 inches) in diameter
- Japanese Knotweed please see Environment Agency advice
Waste from your brown bin is composted to produce a quality PAS100 soil conditioner used on gardens, allotments and farms in and around Newcastle.
The following should also not be put in your brown bin as it will contaminate the waste and mean it can’t be composted:
- plant pots
- dog and cat faeces
- straw and hay bedding for pets
- food waste or refuse
You may like to view our pages on: