Household waste and recycling centres
Household waste and recycling centres
Before driving to one of our sites please make sure you understand our recycling centre rules.
They include that:
- our recycling centres are only for people living in Newcastle upon Tyne and the Newcastle City Council area.
- drivers of larger vehicles may need to apply for a permit in advance
Remember to check our A-Z of Recycling if you need any guidance about disposing of or recycling items.
On this page:
- Site locations
- Opening times
- Large vehicles, business vehicles and trailers
- Trade waste
- Other local recycling points
- Recycling bulky items
- Brunswick Industrial Estate, Sandy Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE13 7BA
- Map - Brunswick recycling centre (external link)
- Glasshouse Street, off Walker Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 1AH
- Map - Byker recycling centre (external link)
- Walbottle Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE15 8HY
- Map - Walbottle recycling centre (external link)
Opening times and Last Entry
Byker and Brunswick are open from 8am to 6pm. Walbottle is open from 9am to 6pm.
Our 3 recycling centres are open every day of the week, except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day when the sites will close. All three recycling centres close at 4pm on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
Please be aware that all three Household Waste Recycling Centres must close on the hour.
In order to have sites cleared and gates locked on the hour, last entry is:
- 15 minutes before closing for small car loads
- 30 minutes before closing for large car loads
- one hour before closing for larger vehicles with a Wastebot permit
Please bear these time restrictions in mind if attempting to visit a site late in the evening.
Routine site closures
When a mixed waste container fills up, we need to compact its contents into a smaller number of storage containers. This process takes about 15 minutes and our sites must close temporarily to allow this to happen safely.
We try to keep closures to a minimum and we ask for your understanding when this occurs. Please check for signs on the site gates.
Staff will always try to keep the sites open in adverse weather however, sites may have to close if conditions become dangerous.
If conditions are bad, and you would like to find out in advance if a site is open, please check our social media pages or phone 0191 278 7878 and ask for 'tips' prior to travelling.
Large vehicles, business vehicles and trailers
If you want to visit one of our recycling centres, with rubbish and recycling from your home, you will need to apply for a permit in advance if you are:
- driving a larger car or van
- towing a trailer
- driving a vehicle with business branding
Where you need a permit you can request one and receive it in minutes using your mobile phone.
More details of what is considered a large vehicle and how to apply for a permit can be found on our Wastebot waste permits page.
Only household waste is accepted at our recycling centres. The sites are not legally allowed to take in waste from businesses or tradespeople.
Disposing of commercial or industrial waste at the sites is an offence and anyone found to be doing so will be either:
- issued a fixed penalty of between £200 and £300
- prosecuted, with no limit to the fine that can be issued
To find where you can dispose of trade waste, please:
- find a business waste disposal site or contractor
- check its status on the Environment Agency's public register before using it
You must comply with the legislation and duty of care that relates to trade waste. This includes keeping records of how you dispose of your waste and who you give it to.
You may need to be a registered waste carrier to transport waste from your business or occupation.
Other local recycling points
Local recycling points can be found across the city in places such as supermarket car parks.
At these recycling points you will find a small number of containers for materials such as glass, clothing and newspaper. They do not accept general waste.
Find your nearest local recycling point on the Recycle Now website.
Recycling bulky items
For details of how to recycle larger or bulky items please see our pages about recycling bulky items.
- What you can bring to our Household Waste & Recycling Centres
- Apply for a recycling centre and tipping site permit
- Sandhills garden waste recycling centre
- Recycling A to Z
- Recycling your bulky items
- Recycling on holidays - Christmas, Easter, other celebrations and Bank Holidays
- Tips for recycling more
If you would like to give us feedback on our website, please complete this short online form.