Licensing of Projections over Highways

Licensing of Projections over Highways

Section 177 Licence to project over the Highway

Newcastle City Council issue licences under Section 177 of the Highways Act 1980 for buildings or projecting signs that over sail the highway for which the Council is the Highway Authority.

A projection over the highway covers all signage, displays, banners, and construction/buildings cantilevered over the highway.

How to apply for a projection over the highway

The application should be submitted including four copies of the application form and relevant technical drawings which clearly show the proposed projection in plan view and section in relation to the highway kerb line and other relevant features.

The applicant must enclosure with the application proof that they hold public liability insurance of not less than £5million.

An application form to apply for a licence for a projection over the highway can be downloaded from the link below.

Apply for a licence to overhang part of the public highway

Apply here


The current charge for consideration of an application for a projection over the highway licence is £497.00. Cheques should be made payable to 'Newcastle City Council'.  Payment should accompany the deposit of the application.

If the application is approved, the applicant will be obliged to enter into a form of Licence to be prepared by the Council's Head of Commercial Law and to pay his reasonable legal fee in connection with the same.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the Local Authority within 28 days please contact the Building Control Section.

Other information

Permission relating to the construction of bridges over a public highway is dealt with under Section 176 of the Highways Act 1980.  In the first instance please contact the Engineering Consultancy Section, Technical Services, Newcastle City Council, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8PD or phone 0191 2115931.



Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?