Demolition Notices

Demolition Notices

Why is a demolition notice required?

The Building Act 1984 contains provisions that enable local authorities to control demolition works for the protection of the public safety and to ensure adjoining premises and the site are made good on completion of the demolition. A notice of conditions is issued that require certain works to be carried out to achieve these aims.

Is a demolition notice required for all work?

No. Demolition notices are not required for the following:

  • Greenhouses, conservatories, prefabricated garages, sheds and agricultural buildings
  • When work is being carried out to comply with a demolition order made under the Housing Act 1957
  • Where the building to be demolished has a volume of less than 1750 cubic feet, 49.56 cubic metres

Submit a Section 80 Demolition Notice

Applications for demolition should be made 6 weeks prior to the intended demolition. The notice must be by the person undertaking/procuring the work.

Where demolition of a building or part of a building takes place, the owner must inform the Council by submitting a Building Act Section 80 Demolition Notice.

When we receive the Section 80 Notice, we will serve a counter notice (Section 81 Notice) notifying you of the required precautions to be undertaken and any other relevant conditions will be included in the counter notice.

To apply for a demolition notice complete Section 80 Demolition Notice form


The current charge for a demolition notice is £324.00 and will be payable by the applicant.  In order to speed the process your payment should be made at the same time as submitting your application.

Your payment can be made over the phone, online or by cheque, cheques should be made payable to Newcastle City Council.



Post: Building Control Section
Civic Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne


Go to top

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?