City Centre Business Pay and Display Permits

City Centre Business Pay and Display Permits

If your business premises are within the city centre (that is within the Controlled Parking Zone - CPZ), you can apply up to 2 City Centre business pay and display permits for your business. The area covered by the CPZ is indicated in red shading on this map (pdf,1.21mb).  The permit is valid for all pay and display bays in on-street areas  within the CPZ and pay and display bays in city centre car parks at all times. Car parks on the periphery of the city centre that fall outside the CPZ and where a City Centre Business Pay and Display permit is not valid include Argyle Street; Blandford Square; Blandford Street East; Claremont Road; Leazes Park; Manors; Osborne Terrace; St Georges and Stadium.

The car parks in the city centre where a City Centre Business Pay and Display permit is valid are listed here

The permit does not provide exemption in any other restricted use bays including Citypark permit bays in car parks, disabled bays, taxi bays, electric vehicle charging bays, motorcycle bays, loading bays, permit bays, bays suspended from use, permit bays in the OB3 or WG3 zones and no waiting restrictions (yellow lines and pedestrian zones).

Please note that this new permit type is currently only being issued on a trial basis whilst we fully evaluate the impact of introducing this permit on a permanent basis.


City Centre Business Permits cost £1000.00 for an annual permit or £76.93 for a 4 week permit with payment processed up front before the permit is issued.

For Businesses who wish to pay in a single payment via invoice a debtor name, which is a real legal entity, must be provided during the application.  This can be a named individual; a public organisation or a limited company, but not a trading name. 

The address of the company for the invoice to be issued must be the full business address and cannot be a Care of (C/O) or PO Box address.  Contact details such as the business email and telephone numbers will also be required in case of queries regarding the invoice.


How to apply

Please allow 14 days for your application to be processed.

  • Download an application form (pdf, 663kb) and the Terms and Conditions of Use of this permit type.
  • Information regarding how your personal data may be collected, processed, shared and retained following your application for a permit can be found here.

How do I pay for a City Centre Business Pay & Display Permit?

If you have received an offer for a City Centre Business Pay Display Permit or would like to renew one, payment can be made below.


Pay for a City Centre Business Pay & Display Permit


What do I do if I lose my permit or it is stolen?

We require written notification from the actual permit holder that the permit has been lost or stolen, together with payment of an administrative charge of £10.00. 

Apply online for a replacement permit – Online Form

The original permit will be revoked, so will no longer be valid for use. This means that if anyone finds your lost permit and tries to use it for their own use, the permit will be invalid and vehicles using it would be issued with Penalty Charge Notices. A replacement permit with a fresh reference number will be issued to you.

What happens if my circumstances change and I no longer require the permit?

The permit should be returned to Newcastle Parking Services, P.O. Box 2BL, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE99 2BL by recorded delivery/Royal Mail signed for.  This provides proof of posting and receipt.  We will then revoke your permit and depending on how you paid for the permit, calculate if you are due a refund for the unexpired portion based on the number of full weeks remaining on the permit or the reduced amount you owe on a payment plan. A £10.00 administrative charge will be applied for the process of cancelling the permit and processing a refund or re-calculating a payment plan.  If you paid for your permit upfront in a single payment, we will refund the value of the unused portion of the permit to you, usually to the payment card that the original payment was taken from.

What do I do if I change my vehicle?

The permit with your old vehicle registration number will not be valid for your new vehicle (unless you have retained the same number plate or unless when you applied for the permit you requested that it be valid for use in any vehicle). The permit holder will need to complete an online request to amend the vehicle registration. 

Apply online to change the registration Online Form

There is an administration charge of £10.00 for amending the vehicle registration details on a parking permit. If you apply online, your application will be assessed and if it is approved you will be sent an email confirming this with a link to make an online payment.  You can include an email address within the payment process, so that a receipt of payment will be emailed to you.   

Who do I contact if I have a query?

If you have any general queries please email or ring us on 0191 2772728 Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 3.30pm.