Energy advice

Energy advice

Gas and electricity prices increased by 54% in April 2022 and are expected to rise by another 74% in October, causing many people to worry about their energy bills.

On this page:

There are several ways you may be able to reduce your energy costs, including:

  • taking simple steps to reduce the energy you use
  • making your home more energy efficient
  • applying for free help and support

Charities, energy companies and the regulator Ofgem all offer free advice.

Our team may also be able to help you access grants or support from a range of schemes.

Support you can access yourself

Before contacting us we would urge you to see what help you may be able to access yourself.

Save energy at home and reduce your bills

Information on saving energy and reducing your bills at home is available online from many sources.

This advice can help you to:

Energy support payments

The Government has announced support for people affected by rising energy bills.

This includes £150 for most households living in properties in council tax bands A to D.

More information about this support, how it will be paid, and how you can access it as quickly as possible is available on our energy support payments page.

Help with prepayment energy costs

If your prepayment meters are about to cut off supply and you need help to top up, you should contact your energy supplier in the first instance.

They may be able to issue a credit top up voucher or extend an emergency credit facility.

If your supplier refuses support then you can get support from the Citizens Advice extra help unit by:

  • calling 0808 223 1133 and asking the Citizens Advice consumer helpline to refer you
  • using the extra help unit online referral form (if you need help the same day it's better to phone)

Apply for energy upgrades to your home

The Sustainable Warmth scheme will be starting in August. The council has secured an additional £1million from the Government to build on the delivery of the £3million Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery (GHG LAD) scheme.

The Sustainable Warmth scheme is targeted at residents who: 

  • own their homes or rent from a private landlord;
  • have a gross household income of £30,000 per year or less;
  • live in homes with a low energy rating (an EPC of D/E/F/G)

The scheme can fund measures such as:

  • wall, loft and floor insulation,
  • low carbon heating
  • solar panels

If you are on the GHG LAD scheme waiting list then we will contact you.

Alternatively, you can send your name, address and contact details to our delivery partner Warmworks to register your interest

Apply for money off low carbon heating technologies

Check the Boiler Upgrade Scheme guidance and  how to apply.

Advice for business

The energy regulator Ofgem offers a general guide to business gas and electricity use.

Support we offer

Crisis support

Our crisis support scheme provides support for people who have suffered an emergency that has left them:

  • without access to vital necessities
  • at a health and safety risk
  • unable to secure funding from any other source

Heating is considered a vital necessity and being without it could be potentially harmful.

Find out more on our crisis support page.

Energy advice and grants

Our energy services team provides expert advice and support for residents and businesses in Newcastle.

This includes work to:

  • make homes, businesses and organisations more energy efficient
  • reduce energy bills
  • help households to keep warm at a reasonable cost (reduce fuel poverty)
  • offer fuel debt advice

If you have been unable to find the support you need via the general advice, or would like more information about financial help to improve your energy efficiency please:

Free business energy audit

Small and medium sized businesses in Newcastle can also apply for a free energy audit through our business energy saving team (BEST)

This will:

  • identify potential energy improvements and savings
  • develop a plan to help you achieve them
  • help your firm access funding for energy improvements
  • cut your greenhouse gas emissions

Please note that while the first phase of the BEST programme is now complete, businesses can also continue to register their interest, for potential future support.

Advice for landlords and tenants

Our private rented service offers free advice and support to help landlords ensure their properties meet legal requirements.

They also can support tenants who have problems with energy efficiency or heating systems.

Find out more on our minimum energy efficiency standards page.

If you rent your home from Your Homes Newcastle you can access extra support.

Government support

The Chancellor of the Exchequer has announced an extra £15 billion of support for people dealing with the rising cost of living.

Details of this can be found in the:

This includes the £400 Energy  Bill Support scheme and the Household Support Fund.

Other financial support

You may be eligible to receive extra help from the:

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?