Report abuse or neglect

Abuse and neglect is never ok. If you, or someone you know is being abused or neglected, it is important to tell someone.

Stopping abuse or neglect is everyone's responsibility and anybody can raise a concern.

Find out how to report a concern about a child or adult below.


In an emergency or if you are worried that someone is in danger call the Police on 999.


Children or young people

During office hours call us on 0191 277 2500 Monday to Friday 8.45am to 5pm.


You can discuss your concerns with someone who works with children and families such as, your health worker, social worker, school nurse or teacher.  All schools have a teacher responsible for child protection.


Or complete our online referral form .


If you are a professional use  the professional online referral form.



You can tell someone you trust or telephone Community Health and Social Care Direct on 0191 278 8377 Monday to Friday  8am to 5pm 


In an emergency always dial 999



Out of office hours for children and adults

Outside of office hours and at weekends telephone 0191 278 7878