All applications for school places must be made to Newcastle City Council. Read our admissions guidance before you apply.

  • If your child is new to the city and does not currently have a school place, you can apply online. Alternatively paper forms are available from any school or to download at the link below.
  • If your child currently goes to school in Newcastle and you want them to move schools, you must complete the paper application (pdf, 76.4kb). Hard copies are also available from your child’s school.

Please be aware that new application forms received now and during the Summer 2018 holidays will not be considered by schools until September 2018.

This is because the schools are closed and it is the Governing Body of each school that decides how places are allocated. Newcastle City Council will prepare all the applications for schools during this period but you will not hear the outcome of your application until the schools return in September. The earliest you should expect to hear from a school is during the week beginning 10 September but it may take several weeks.

Please note that the majority of schools in Newcastle are full and have no spaces, please view our Latest school vacancies sheet to find out the places we believe are available. It can take up to 20 school days (4 weeks) for a school to confirm whether an existing pupil no longer requires their place and to legally be able to remove them from roll, before they can offer that place to another child.

We receive a high volume of applications from July through September. It may therefore take some time for your child to secure a place from a waiting list. Please check our page weekly in term time for updated information about schools with spaces and we encourage you to apply for schools with published vacancies.

Please note that if your child currently attends a Newcastle school and you are looking to move to another Newcastle school during the holiday period, we cannot progress your application unless you have already had the school section of the form completed. We will return the form to you if incomplete.

Find your child’s Year Group

Use our easy reference guide to check what Year Group at school your child should be in, based on their date of birth.​

Find your nearest schools

Enter your postcode into the government’s school finder to find your nearest schools. These may be in a neighbouring local authority.​

Where can I get further information and advice?

Please read all the available information online before applying for a school place. If you have any further questions after reading this, please contact us directly.

We will respond as quickly as possible but at busy times our response times are 3 working days for phone calls and up to 10 working days for written correspondence.


Phone on 0191 278 7878 (ask for “School Admissions”)

Writing to:
Admissions and Information Service
Newcastle City Council
Civic Centre
Barras Bridge

Page last updated: 
24 July 2018
Was this page useful?