New contact centre opening times

Contact Centre opening times will be changing from Monday 28 October, find out the revised opening hours.

Evidence checklist for in-year school application

As part of the school admission process, you need to provide supporting evidence if your child does not currently attend a Newcastle government-funded school. We can't process your application without it.

Please do not send original documentation; copies of documents are accepted.

Proof of address

The address you give must be your child’s permanent address at the time of filling in the application.  We carry out spot checks and will withdraw places if false addresses or misleading information are given.

Please provide one of the following to confirm the child will be living at the address provided within 4 weeks of the application:

  • Proof of address provided must be in the name of the person making the application.
  • A copy of your Council Tax bill for the current year TV Licence (valid for the current year) with the name and address of the applicant
  • A photocopy of the Child Benefit statement, showing parent’s name, the child’s name and the home address for the current year or dated within the last 12 months

If you can't provide one of the 3 documents above we will accept one of the following if it is dated within 3 calendar months:

  • A copy of a rental agreement for a minimum of six school weeks signed and dated by both the tenant and the landlord
  • A copy of a recent utility bill for your home address, showing usage – gas, electricity, water, telephone (not mobile phones)
  • A copy of your driving licence issued within the last three months showing your new address
  • Copy letter from a housing association confirming that you and the child are living at the address
  • HMRC Tax notification documentation (such as Universal Credit)
  • Credit card statements dated within the last three months Bank/Building Society statement dated within the last three months
  • Letter from National Asylum Support Service (NASS) or UK Border Force (UKBA) confirming placement at the address
  • A photocopy of the child’s medical card, showing the home address
  • Home Office paperwork (including child’s name and date of birth)
  • A letter from your Solicitor confirming exchange of contracts on the new property you are purchasing stating the full postal address, preferably with a completion date
  • A Deed of Assignment
  • A copy of the notice to tenants to quit (if returning to a property that you own, that is currently tenanted)

Moving in with a friend or relative

If you are moving in with a friend or relative we will need a letter from the friend/relative confirming that you are coming to stay with them (mentioning you all by full name) and we will also need to see proof of address for the friend/relative dated within the last 3 months (see list above). We have a template your friend/relative can complete if this is helpful.

If your child lives at more than one address

We can only process the application from one address. If the child lives at more than one address from Monday to Friday, the address given should be the one where the child spends most of their school nights. If the address is disputed, we will consider evidence such as child benefit or child tax credit and where the child is registered with a GP to determine the address.

Proof of child’s date of birth

Please provide one of the following:

  • Valid Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Identity card

Serving members of the UK armed forces or crown servants

If you are currently a serving member of the regular UK Armed Forces with a posting to the area or a Crown Servant returning from overseas, please provide the following:

  • An official Ministry of Defence, Foreign Commonwealth Office or Government Communication Head Quarters letter confirming your relocation date and quartering address

Looked after children (LAC) and previously looked after children

Please provide documents that we can accept as proof of looked after or previously looked after status:

  • Adoption certificates / orders that reference section 12 of the Adoption Act;
  • Adoption certificates / orders that reference Section 46 of the Children’s Act;
  • Any Child Arrangement Order;
  • Any Special Guardianship Order that mentions Section 14A;
  • Any residence order issued prior to 22/04/2014;
  • Written confirmation from an involved council employee (ideally the assigned Social Worker);
  • Document saying they are currently in public care;
  • Document saying they are formerly in public care when the applicant notes this on their application

We will also require a letter or email from the social worker involved with the child to say that they are in agreement with the application.

Proof of parental responsibility

Where there is any doubt about parental responsibility we will ask you to provide proof of parental responsibility. In such cases, whatever you choose to provide will be entirely up to you. However,
it must indicate that you have parental responsibility.

Examples of documents that prove parental responsibility include:

  • The child’s birth certificate
  • Parental responsibility agreement entered into by birth parents
  • Copy of a court order giving father parental responsibility
  • Child Arrangement Order in respect of the child Adoption Order
  • Upon taking office as a formally appointed guardian of the child

This should be accompanied with proof that you are the person named e.g. passport.


Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?