If your charity operates from premises that are within a parking permit area and you have employees or visitors to the property who will park on the road during the hours of parking restrictions you can apply for a charity permit(s). Examples of the signage in a permit parking area and a list of properties that are eligible to apply for permits can be found at https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-transport/parking/parking-permits.
Permits can be issued with a vehicle registration number printed on it if they are for the use of employees using named vehicles or without for use by any bona fide visitors.
The permit(s) should be kept by the charity and handed out to any employees or visitors, as and when needed.
The number of charity permits issued will be an absolute maximum of 10 per charity with a sliding scale of charges. The maximum number of permits may be reduced at the discretion of the City Council having considered the level of permit parking available in the immediate area and the likely impact on resident permit holders.
Who can apply for a charity permit?
A charity may apply to the Council for a parking permit on condition that:
- Their premises are eligible for a parking permit
- The applicant must be a recognised charity through the Charities Act (i.e. registered, exempt or excepted charity)
- The applicant must demonstrate that the whole building is being used for charitable purposes and that the applicant is a recognised charity.
All applications for permits must be received via the business address and from a single authorised member of staff identified on the application form. All payments must be received direct from the business operation and not from individual employees.
|Zone||1-2 Permits||3-5 Permits||6-10 Permits|
Please contact us on 0191 277 2728 to confirm the zone your charity is located in for confirmation of the appropriate charge.
You will be entitled to a discount on the price of your permit if you have a light passenger vehicle that has a low CO2 emission figure that qualifies the vehicle for a reduced rate of annual vehicle excise duty or if the vehicle is fully electric. Vehicles registered after 1st March 2001 with emissions of up to 120 g/km will qualify for the discount. Please supply page 2 of the V5 document only, which provides us with the required information.
How to Apply
Please note that from Friday 15th July 2016 the Customer Service Centres will no longer process applications and requests for parking permits in person, including scratch card permits. From this date, new applications for any additional permits will need to be submitted online or by post. Please allow 14 days for your application to be processed.
- Apply Online (Online Form)
- Complete Application Form (pdf, 324kb)
- Provide proof of business address
- Business letterhead documentation
- The registered charity number or
- a number provided by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) in connection with Gift Aid recoveries
- Provide proof of vehicle documents
- If the vehicle is registered at the address (i.e. organisational vehicles) - vehicle registration document (V5C); or
- If the vehicle is not registered at the appropriate business address but you are applying for a permit for an employee (rather than a visitor) - vehicle registration document (V5C) and the insurance schedule providing confirmation that the driver is insured to drive the vehicle.
Please note that permits are only allocated to occupiers of business premises for their operational vehicles up to a maximum of 1,525kg (unladen weight).
What do I do if I lose my permit or it is stolen?
We require written notification from the actual permit holder that the permit has been lost or stolen, together with payment of an administrative charge of £10.00.
Apply online for a replacement permit – Online Form
What do I do if I change my vehicle?
The permit with your old vehicle registration number will not be valid for your new vehicle (unless you have retained the same number plate). The permit holder will need to complete an online request to amend the vehicle registration. There is an administration charge of £10.00 for amending the vehicle registration details on an existing parking permit.
Apply online for a change of vehicle registration – Online Form