Who we are and what we do
The Communities Team is the Council’s community engagement lead; we work closely with the Communication Team and are co-located within the Communication and Engagement Service. Examples of engagement include Newcastle Independent Tenant Voice Contract (NITV), Strategic Transport Infrastructure engagement and Newcastle Great Park (NGP).
We provide the necessary expertise to support meaningful and tailored community engagement sitting at the heart of a new enabling and participatory approach which unlocks the potential of citizens, promoting volunteering and behavioural change to enable residents to take greater control of the places they live.
The Team lead on children and young people’s engagement too, promoting and embedding a child’s rights-based approach to service provision. The team also manage and support young people from the City’s representative voice, Newcastle Youth Democracy Group.
We work with people of all ages, who live, work or learn in Newcastle to devolve local decision making, supporting the Council to deliver on its priorities. The team provides professional advice, guidance, training and confidence building, and assists Councillors to support practical devolution and greater accountability.
The service supports the asset transfer process for community buildings, delivers annual ward priority setting events across the city and manages 26 ward budgets and associated grant aid processes.
To speak to an officer in the Communities Team, view our contact list.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How can I speak to one of my local councillors?
- How can I apply for funding from the Ward Committee?
- How can I report environmental issues in my ward?
- How can I find copies of agenda and minutes?
- I am unsure which ward I live in. How can I find out?
- How do I find out more about Newcastle Independent Tenant Voice?
- Unicef Child Friendly City Children and Young People's Participation