Under the Licensing Act 2003 a premises licence is required for any of the following:

  • Retail sale or the supply of alcohol
  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling events
  • Performing live music (exemptions apply)
  • Dancing (exemptions apply)
  • Supplying hot food or drink between 11.00pm and 05.00am

The City Council is the licensing authority for its area, dealing with all licensing functions relating to the above-mentioned activities. The Council must have regard to the Government's statutory guidance when dealing with its licensing responsibilities and has been required to prepare a Licensing Policy, which explains the factors that the Council will consider when examining applications for licences and for monitoring compliance with licence conditions. The Act, the statutory guidance and the policy seek to achieve four main objectives, which have equal importance;

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Protection of children from harm
  • Protection of public safety
  • Prevention of nuisance

Statement of Licensing Policy for Newcastle

The statement of licensing policy is intended to provide the basis for Newcastle as the regional capital, to offer a wide choice of high quality, professional managed entertainment and cultural venues within a safe, orderly and attractive environment, valued by those who live, work and visit the city. A series of protocols to help people understand the licensing process have also been developed.

Licensing Policy 2018-2023 . This policy came into force on 1st May 2018.

Drugs Protocol

Protocol (A) Planning and Licensing

Protocol (B) Publicity for Licensing Applications

Protocol (C) Disclosure of Representations

Protocol (D) Timescales for Negotiation

Protocol (E) Minor Variations

Protocol (F) Promotions

Protocol (G) How to make Representations

Protocol (H) Delegations and Responsible  Authorities 

Protocol (I) Hearings at Licensing Committee

Who can apply for a premises licence?

The principal category of those who can apply for a premises licence is anyone who proposes to carry on a business involving licensable activities on the premises. This covers any individual (aged at least 18) or companies, unincorporated bodies, partnerships, etc. Recognised clubs, charities, a proprietor of educational establishments, health service bodies and a chief officer of police may also apply for a premises licence.

Applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK. When applications are submitted for individuals or partnerships, proof of this right will need to be included.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Tacit consent applies to every type of application with the exception of 'minor variation' which will not offer tacit consent.

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard by the end of the target completion period which is 28 days (not including possible committee hearing date) from the date of submission of all correct and relevant information.

Public access to licensing applications

Please note you must register to make a comment, representation or track and save searches against an application. When making a representation your contact details may be forwarded to the applicant (or their Agent) or to other Authorities such as the police.  If you do not want your details passed onto any other parties please let us know. 

Eugo Logo

View and comment on Applications.

Guidance on how to make a Representation.



Page last updated: 
23 January 2019
Was this page useful?