On this page you will find details of independent and free benefit and money advice and support in Newcastle and also contact details of the main benefit administrators, such as Jobcentre Plus.

Where to get independent advice in Newcastle

We have produced a booklet listing organisations providing independent and non-commercial benefits advice, debt advice and money support in Newcastle. Please note that we cannot guarantee the quality of service provided by the organisations listed in this booklet. Download 'Where to get advice in Newcastle' (pdf, 246kb).

To receive the booklet when it is updated, simply provide your email address on this online form.

There is also information on organisations who can provide advice on debt and managing money on our debt and money advice page.

Newcastle City Council Welfare Rights Service

The Council's Welfare Rights Service is a targeted service. We only carry out benefits casework for Newcastle residents who are in the following groups:

  • people who are aged 65 and over;
  • people with severe and enduring mental health problems;
  • people who have a learning disability;
  • people who have a social care package;
  • children with disabilities and their carers;
  • care leavers;
  • carers;
  • people with a critical illness;
  • people with a registered sensory impairment; and
  • people who have been offered a job and require a 'better off calculation'.

Benefit advice line
Available to any Newcastle resident
Phone: 0191 277 2627
Monday Friday, 9:30am to 12 noon

Debt advice line
Available to any Newcastle resident
Phone 0191 277 1050
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9.30am to 11.30am

Professionals, volunteers and Councillors can get advice, make referrals and find other useful information on our page: Information for professionals and volunteers.

Benefit offices and contact details

Jobcentre Plus benefit office contact details

Locally administered benefits, such as Jobseeker's Allowance, Universal Credit, Income Support and Employment and Support Allowance (but not Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support) are run by the Jobcentre Plus system across Newcastle.

To make a new claim:

Phone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888

To discuss an existing award:

Phone: 0345 608 8545
Textphone: 0345 608 8551

The three Newcastle Jobcentre Plus offices are:

Newcastle City
1 Cathedral Square
Mosley Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

Newcastle East
Coquet House
Clifford Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

Newcastle West
Condercum House
171 West Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE15 6PL

More details about how to contact Jobcentre Plus.

You can also send an email to contact-us@dwp.gsi.gov.uk for enquiries relating to Jobcentre Plus services, such as how to make a claim and to apply for a budgeting loan, but not for help with appointments.

Newcastle City Council

Administers Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Contact details for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

HM Revenue & Customs

Administer Tax Credits and Child Benefit

Contact details for Tax Credits and Child Benefit

For all other benefits and how to contact them

See our benefits information page where clicking on each benefit will take you to further details about that benefit. You can also find benefit details by going to the Gov.uk benefits page.

Page last updated: 
19 December 2017
Was this page useful?