Housing Benefit - Changes in Circumstances

Housing Benefit - Changes in Circumstances

It is very important that you tell us about any changes in your circumstances within one month of the change. If you don't you may lose money you are entitled to, or you may get too much benefit which you may have to pay back. You must tell us about any changes. Do not rely on someone else to pass the message on. It is an offence not to tell us about any change of circumstance that affects your benefit.

Changes you must tell us about;

  • you or anyone living with you gets a job (no matter how many hours they work), changes their job or leaves their job
  • you or anyone living with you receives any pension
  • any of your children leave school or leave home
  • anyone moves into or out of your home (including lodgers and sub-tenants)
  • your income (including benefits) or the income of anyone living with you changes
  • your capital, savings or investments change
  • you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a training scheme, or goes into hospital, nursing home or prison
  • your rent changes, your landlord changes or moves
  • you move
  • you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than a month
  • anyone in your household dies
  • you receive any decision from the Home Office
  • or anything you have already told us about changes


Report a Change in circumstances





Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?