Child Employment work permit

Part-time work can improve children’s confidence, provide valuable experience and earn them some money. Any job must be done outside of school hours. It must not affect their studies or mean they miss school.

Employers need a permit to employ a school age child. 'School age' is right up until the last Friday in June of their Year 11, even if they are already 16 or have a National Insurance Number.

What age can children start work?

Children must be at least 13 years old to work part-time.

What is an employer's responsibility?

Employers must inform the council that they have employed a school age child by applying for a child employment permit.

If satisfied with the arrangements, the council will issue the child with an employment permit but this may be withdrawn, or employment restricted, should there be any concern that the child's health or education is suffering.

The regulations relating to the employment of school children in Newcastle upon Tyne are contained in the Children and Young Persons Act 1933 as amended by Newcastle City Council byelaws.

Restrictions for child employment

Children may not be employed:

  • During school hours
  • Before 7am or after 7pm
  • For more than 1 hour before school
  • For more than 2 hours in total on any school day or on a Sunday
  • For more than 12 hours per week in term time
  • For more than 8 hours per day in school holidays and Saturdays (weekly maximum of 35 hours), or if under 15 years of age for more than 5 hours per day in school holidays and Saturdays (weekly maximum of 25 hours)
  • For more than 4 hours without a rest break of 1 hour

Children must have a break of 2 weeks during school holidays in any year.

There are further restrictions on the age at which children may work and the type of work that they may be permitted to do.  If you have any queries, please contact us.

Apply for a child employment permit

Employers must complete and return the permit application form within a week of the child starting work. You cannot currently apply online.

Role of the Access and Inclusion Service

The council will:

  • process and record all applications for child employment (work) permits
  • carry out routine checks on employers and spot checks through visiting
  • monitor child employment city-wide
  • enforce the byelaws as appropriate
  • give advice to employers, schools, parents and children

Other information

The National Network for Child Employment and Entertainment (NNCEE) can offer further guidance and information about children in entertainment and employment.

Need more information?

Contact us


Phone: 0191 277 4500

Write to us:
Access and Inclusion Service
Newcastle City Council
3rd floor, Civic Centre
Barras Bridge
Newcastle upon Tyne