In-year school admissions


If you’re moving into Newcastle, moving house, or have another reason for wanting to change your child’s school, the information on this page will help.

Moving from one Newcastle school to another

If your child is currently attending a Newcastle school, ask your child's school for an application form . You cannot make an application using the Citizen's Portal. The Head Teacher has to complete part of the form before we can accept it.

Changing your child’s school can affect them in many ways and the decision should not be taken without careful thought. The local authority firmly believes that continuity and stability in a child’s education is very important and that a change of school should only be made if it is felt to be in your child’s best interests. Many things that worry parents and children can be sorted out without the need to move school.

Often changing school will not resolve your concerns and it can adversely affect your child’s education. There are many difficulties that can arise within a school. Your child may be feeling unhappy or is not getting on with friends or teachers at that moment. Maybe your child is struggling with their work or has been in trouble and you feel that it cannot be sorted out. All of the above issues can happen to any pupil at any stage in their school life and can often be resolved without changing your child’s school.

Please note that if your child currently attends a Newcastle school and you are looking to move to another Newcastle school during the holiday period, we cannot progress your application unless you have already had the school section of the form completed. We will return the form to you if incomplete.

Not currently in a Newcastle school

All applications for school places must be made to Newcastle City Council. Please be aware that new application forms received during the Summer holidays will not be processed until September. This is because the schools are closed and it is the Governing Body of each school that decides how places are allocated. Newcastle City Council will prepare all the applications for schools during this period but you will not hear the outcome of your application until the schools return in September. It is likely to be the second or third week of term before the school contacts you.

If your child needs a school place in Newcastle because they don't have one, you can apply online. If you/your child has medical needs or your child is previously looked after, use the evidence checklist to ensure you send the right documents to us.

Apply online


Evidence checklist 


How does a managed move differ from an in-year application?

managed move is a voluntary agreement between the parent/carer, the child’s current school and an alternative school which has places available, for a trial period of about 6 weeks.

It is a behaviour strategy specifically for children at risk of permanent exclusion where other strategies to improve their behaviour in their current school have failed and all parties believe a fresh start could work.

If the managed move is a success, the pupil will permanently transfer on roll to the new school.  If the child fails the managed move because of poor behaviour during the trial or they fail to meet the targets agreed beforehand, they will return to their original school.

Unlike a managed move, an in-year is a formal process that is governed by national legislation. Schools and academies must consider every in-year application against their admission criteria and the law defines what can and cannot be considered by a Governing Body to refuse a place. You have a legal right of appeal to an independent appeals panel if your child is refused a place for in-year admission.

If your child is not at risk of permanent exclusion, a managed move is not appropriate, and you should apply for a normal in-year transfer if you wish your child to change schools.

Which schools have places available?

We periodically publish which schools have places available in below PDF. This information is only meant for use a guide for making an application. We process large quantities of applications so places shown might have been filled by the time you make an application.

Published:  6th May 2021

Vacancies information (PDF)

Need more information?

If you would like further information and advice after reading our guidance online, you can contact us directly.


We do not have a reception desk for visitors or appointments in person.  We also have no facility for you to hand in applications or supporting evidence at the Civic Centre.

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?