Newcastle Virtual School
The Newcastle Virtual School supports the education of Newcastle children that are in the care of the council. We provide support and challenge to schools that our children attend, we track attendance and progress and provide targeted interventions so that each child can achieve their goals and educational outcomes.
We aim to increase inclusion, reduce exclusion and disengagement and improve the educational experience and outcomes for all our children.
The Virtual School provides the following:
- a dedicated Education Achievement Worker (EAW) for each child, who takes the lead on ensuring the Personal Education Plan (PEP) reflects the child’s true needs and wishes
- a bespoke service to support young people in educational settings working closely with schools, carers and social workers
- additional learning experiences and targeted resources
- support with school moves
- assistance with SEN and the provision of Educational Psychologist support
- advice and guidance on educational pathways, working with the Connexions and Leaving Care teams to reduce the chances of looked after children (LAC) becoming not engaged in education, employment or training (NEET)
- training, advice and guidance to schools, social workers and foster carers on educational issues
- support and guidance to parents of previously looked after children
- ASDAN qualifications via Childrens Social Care Staff based in residential homes.
Phone: 0191 277 3616
Did you know?
During the inspection of services for children in need of help and protection, children looked after and care leavers in 2017, Ofsted stated that: "The educational achievement of children looked after is a strength supported by a well-led virtual school".