Apply for Temporary Traffic Signals

Apply for Temporary Traffic Signals

If you need to place temporary traffic signals on the highway you will need to apply to Newcastle City Council by following the procedure noted below.

How do I apply?

Please note that all Statutory Undertakers who are authorised through the Department for Transport (DfT) can apply and seek approval to place temporary traffic signals on the highway through the submission of a Permit.

If you are not covered as a recognised Statutory Undertaker (i.e. a utility company), then for the purpose of applying for temporary traffic signals, you are classed as a Contractor and will have to apply by completing our online application form.

What we require from you the applicant

  • A completed online application form. You must complete all elements of the form, as failure to do this could lengthen the application period. Please note until we have received a fully completed application, there are not to be any temporary signals installed.
  • A clear location plan showing the traffic management and timings of works.

Minimum period of notice required

  • Traffic Sensitive Streets will require 10 days advance notice of any temporary traffic lights.
  • Non-traffic Sensitive Streets will require 5 working days advance notice.
  • Emergency works will require you to make contact with the relevant Highway Control Assistant to discuss.

Permanent Traffic Signals

It is the responsibility of the applicant to arrange for the adjustment or suspension of permanent traffic signals, pelican crossings, etc.

Lee Haigh -

Marc Walton -

Bus Stops

To arrange for suspension of bus stops and/or alternative temporary stops, please make contact with Nexus -


There are currently no charges for the application and approval for temporary traffic signals, however if you require the switching off of any permanent signals then you must contact us in advance to make prior arrangements and charges will apply.

Lee Haigh -

Marc Walton -


Any application granted is for the timescale as agreed on your application, subject to approval. Any variation to this will require you to discuss this with ourselves as other constraints may apply which could affect your works.

Emergency application

Should your works require temporary traffic signals to be installed in an emergency, you will need to make contact ASAP with the contact below whilst still applying through the normal process.

Working Hour Contacts: (Mon - Thurs 07:30 - 16:30) (Fri 07:30 - 12:30) 

Marc Walton - 07970 623 191

Lee Haigh - 07977 730 774

Non-working Hours Contact:

0191 278 7878


Newcastle City Council would expect you to maintain the temporary traffic signals in line with Chapter 8 and the Safety at Street Works and Road Works Code of Practice.

Notes for guidance

The links below are there to provide you with the information you require to make an application and ensure that you comply with the relevant legislation.

New Roads and Street Works Act 1991

Traffic Management Act 2004

Highways Act 1980

Safety at Street Works and Road Works: A Code of Practice

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984

An Introduction to the Use of Portable Vehicular Signals

Contact details

For further details or queries, please contact our Permit Team

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?