Apply for a street party

A street party is an event that is organised by local residents in a street to celebrate occasions such as Royal Weddings, Jubilees etc.

To apply to hold a street party please contact our Traffic Team by completing a Your Local Services online form below or phone 0191 278 7878. Please state that you want to hold a street party and tell us the proposed location of your event. We will then call you to discuss your requirements.


Please note that applications for  hosting a street party for the Kings Coronation weekend must be made by 17th April 2023


What sort of events does this apply to?

This applies to small street parties and fetes and not large public events. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are listed below:

Street parties and fetes:

  • For residents/neighbours only
  • Publicity only to residents
  • No licences normally necessary if music is incidental and no selling is involved
  • No formal risk assessment needed
  • Self-organised

Large public events:

  • Anyone can attend
  • External publicity (such as in newspapers)
  • Licence usually needed
  • Insurance needed


Frequently asked questions and checklist

Q: Do we need insurance cover?

A: No, you are no longer required to have public liability insurance cover, although you might find it helpful to look at Streets Alive and The Big Lunch websites for further advice.


Q: How much does it cost?

A: There is no cost to close a road for a street party.


Q: Do we need a 'special event' traffic regulation order?

A: Road closures for street parties are not always necessary, contact our Traffic Section at  Your Local Services or phone 0191 278 7878 to give us information of your event.


Q: Do I need to do a risk assessment?

A: Most local authorities do not ask for a risk plan for small street parties, but you may wish to think about how you can minimise things going wrong and have a back up plan, for example - what would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque etc.


Q: We're serving alcoholic drinks - do we need an alcohol licence?

A: No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact the Licencing Department by email or phone 0191 277 7179 for a Temporary Events Notice from. This application costs £21.


Q: We're playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?

A: No - if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you're not making money then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it's live or recorded.


Q: Do we need a permit to serve food?

A: No - as a private party, you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you wanted to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm). Remember you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share with one another. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.


Q: We're having a tombola/raffle - do we need permission?

A: Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations (however, if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration. Contact The Gambling Specialist Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Or if you did want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.


Q: Do we need to clean up afterwards?

A: Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It's your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.