Safety at Sports Grounds
Building Control is responsible for dealing with safety certification under the Safety at Sports Grounds Act 1975 and Fire Safety and Safety of Places of Sport Act 1987.
Safety certificates are required for:
- Sports stadia with a capacity for 10,000 spectators. (designated grounds)
- All premier and football league stadia with a spectator capacity of 5,000. (designated grounds)
- Sports grounds with one or more regulated stands, with a capacity of 500 spectators.
Apply for a safety certificate
Apply online (online application for general or special certificate for a designated sports ground only)
A separate application form is required for each regulated stand at a sports ground
Completed application forms should be accompanied by:
- Detailed design drawings of the stadium / stand(s)
- Location / site plan
- Safety policy for spectators
- Proposed spectator capacities and calculations
- Risk assessments
- Event Plan
- Contingency plans
Charges are payable to the local authority for the consideration of applications for new or amended general safety certificates and special safety certificate for both designated sports grounds and regulated stands.
Please contact Building Control to confirm current charges.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it using the contact details below.
Telephone: 0191 211 6102
Building Control Section
Newcastle upon Tyne