House inspections for immigration purposes

House inspections for immigration purposes

If you have a relative coming to live with you from abroad, Newcastle City Council must carry out an inspection of the property. This will  ensure that the property:

  • meets the legal minimum standard
  • will not be overcrowded when the immigrant arrives.


Arranging an Inspection

A fee of £123 is due at the time of application. We will then get in touch to arrange a mutually convenient time for the inspection to be carried out.

Arrange an Immigration Inspection


During the Inspection

At the time of the inspection, you will be required to provide proof of your ownership or tenancy of the property. If you are the owner evidence can include the Title Deeds, Mortgage Statement, correspondence from your mortgage provider.

If you are not the owner we will require details of who does own the property and confirmation that they have authorised the increase in occupation, and a copy of a current Tenancy Agreement.

If the property is privately rented you will be required to provide a copy of the gas safety certificate (CP12).

All properties will be required to be free from Category 1 Hazards (as defined under the Housing Act 2004). All properties are also required to have, as a minimum fire precaution, a long life tamper proof battery smoke detector installed in the common parts of each floor of the property.

You will be asked to show the Officer around the whole property, outlining who occupies the house, and which rooms they sleep in.

During the course of the inspection, the Officer will make a judgment on whether the property is suitable and safe for occupation, and whether it would become statutorily overcrowded by the addition of the person seeking entry to the UK.


After the Inspection

When the inspections and investigation is completed, you will receive a letter. This will normally arrive within 7 days of the inspection and will state:

  • the address of the property inspected.
  • whether the property is free from Category 1 hazards as described by the Housing Act 2004, and has the necessary fire precautions.
  • if the property is suitable for the requested occupation

If the property is not compliant a re-inspection may be required before a Immigration Entry Clearance letter can be provided.

As applicant, you are then responsible for ensuring the letter is received by the appropriate authority in support of the application for immigration.

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?