Report suspected adult abuse and neglect

Report suspected adult abuse and neglect

No excuse for adult abuse. Report it.

Community Health and Social Care Direct (8am to 5pm) - Telephone: 0191 278 8377
Outside of these hours - Telephone: 0191 278 7878

Online referral form
In an emergency always dial 999

What is Abuse?

Abuse or neglect can happen to anyone, anywhere. It can take place in a person's own home, in a residential or nursing home, a hospital, day centre or in the street. Most abusers are known by the adult at risk.  Abusers can be:
•    family members
•    friends
•    neighbours
•    paid carers
•    health or care professionals
•    work colleagues

There are different forms of abuse or neglect:

  • Physical abuse - being hit or slapped, being given the wrong medication on purpose, being locked in somewhere, tied up or force fed.
  • Sexual abuse - being touched or kissed when it is not wanted, being made to touch or kiss someone else, being made to watch pornography, being raped, getting something (e.g. gifts or money) as a result of performing sexual acts which a person could not or did not consent to (sexual exploitation).
  • Emotional abuse - being threatened, not being given choices, being bullied, being deliberately left alone for a long time, being tormented. 
  • Financial abuse - having money or personal property stolen, being tricked out of benefits, someone borrowing money and not paying it back, being bullied into letting other people use credit cards or cheques.
  • Neglect - not being given enough to eat or drink, being left in dirty or wet clothes, being given the wrong medication or not being given medication at all, someone not calling a doctor or nurse when help is needed.
  • Discriminatory abuse - ignoring religious beliefs, making comments or jokes about a person's disability, race or sexuality, not providing food to meet dietary requirements.
  • Organisational abuse - repeated instances of poor care or treatment in a service.
  • Domestic abuse - abuse perpetrated by someone who is, or has been, a family member or intimate partner.
  • Self-neglect - when a person is unable to look after themselves meaning that their health, wellbeing or safety is affected.
  • Modern slavery - when a person is forced to work for no money, they may be owned or controlled by an employer or moved from different areas or abroad.
  • Criminal Exploitation - When a person is controlled by an abuser who might use coercion, intimidation, violence (including sexual violence) and weapons to do so. Control methods used include debt bondage; threats of kidnap and serious violence, including the use of firearms and bladed weapons; threats of harm to family members; ‘cuckooing’; and sexual abuse. Exploitation might be linked to organised crime groups involved in activity such as money laundering and drug dealing. 

Who is at risk of abuse?

Anybody may experience abuse however some people are more at risk than others. An adult at risk is someone who is aged 18 or over, may need care services and cannot always protect themselves from significant harm or serious exploitation.

Adults at risk may:

  • Be older and need help from others
  • Have a learning disability
  • Have a physical disability
  • Have mental health needs
  • Have sensory support needs
  • Misuse drugs or alcohol

How to report abuse

Abuse and neglect is never ok. If you, or someone you know is being abused or neglected, it is important to tell someone. You can tell someone you trust or contact Adult Social Care using the telephone numbers or online referral form at the top of this page. Stopping adult abuse or neglect is everyone's responsibility and anybody can raise a concern.

    What will we do next?

    Adult Social Care have a duty to make enquiries into the alleged abuse or neglect of adults at risk. Adult Social Care will do this alongside the person who is at risk, and anyone else who is important to them. The response will depend on the wishes and the circumstances of the person who is being abused or neglected and the seriousness of the situation. If they are in danger, our primary concern will be to ensure their safety. There may be a need for further action or investigation in order to protect the adult, or others, from abuse or neglect.

      What to do if you are worried about a child

      If you are worried that a child or young person (someone aged under 18) is being abused or neglected you should contact Children's Social Care Initial Response Service by telephoning 0191 277 2500. 

      Newcastle Safeguarding Adults Board

      The Newcastle Safeguarding Adults Board is the multi-agency partnership responsible for safeguarding adults at risk in Newcastle. To find out more about the Board and it's work, including:

      • policies, procedures and practice guidance; and
      • free learning and development opportunities. 

       Please visit 

      Need more information?

      More information about safeguarding adults

      Safeguarding adults is protecting an adult's right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. It is about people and organisations working together to prevent and stop abuse and neglect happening. Visit the Newcastle Safeguarding Adults Board and Newcastle Safeguarding Children Partnership website for more information on safeguarding in Newcastle. 

      Plain English Guide 
      Easy Read Guide
      Brief Guide to what happens with a safeguarding enquiry
      Safeguarding adults BSL film

      Please see our dedicated page about safeguarding adults and coronavirus.

      Some of the documents on this page may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.  Request an accessible format

      Is this page useful?
      Is this page useful?