Disabled Facilities Grant - Adapting your home to meet your needs

This information is for home owners and tenants of private landlords and registered housing providers, who have difficulties with everyday tasks and have been assessed as needing adaptations to their home. It provides information about how Care and Repair Newcastle may be able to help to arrange and fund these changes for you.

If you are a tenant of Your Homes Newcastle (YHN), Byker Trust or Leazes Homes you do not need to make an application for a Disabled Facilities Grant and you can discuss this directly with YHN adaptations team on 0800 0911255.

Please download our disabled facilities grant leaflet for more information.

Care and Repair Newcastle can provide:

  • Guidance and support on applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant to pay for adaptations.
  • Arrangements for our approved contractors to carry out the adaptations works.
  • Guidance on moving home if it is not possible to make adaptations to your current home.

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

A Disabled Facilities Grant is a local council grant. It helps towards the cost of adapting your home, to enable you to continue to live there. A grant is paid when the Council considers that changes are necessary and appropriate to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical.

The Disabled Facilities Grant is available to fund some or all of the works required to adapt a property to meet the needs of a disabled person. The maximum value of grant available is £30,000. Typical examples of grant funded works are:

  • To install ramps and widen doors to help you get in and around your home
  • To improve bathing and toileting facilities

You can apply if either you or someone living in your property is disabled.

What is an Equipment Loan?

We can provide a stair lift if we consider that one would be necessary and appropriate to meet your needs and that it would be reasonable and practical to fit one in your home.

It is our policy to recycle our stair lifts and a recycled unit will always be provided ahead of a new stair lift if we have a suitable one in stock. All stair lifts, regardless of whether they are new or recycled, are provided with service and repair cover without any charge or means test; we only ask that you give us it back when it is no longer required so someone else can benefit from it.

Assessing Your Needs

The first step to applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant or an Equipment Loan is to have an assessment of your needs carried out. This can be arranged by contacting Community Health and Social Care Direct using the following details:

Phone: 0191 278 8377 Textphone: 0191 278 8359
Email: scd@newcastle.gov.uk

During the assessment we will look at how you manage in your home. We may be able to help you with your everyday living tasks by providing aids and equipment or we may recommend adaptations to your home.

Do I have to pay?

A Disabled Facilities Grant is means tested and depending on your income, you may need to pay a contribution towards the cost of the work to your home. As part of the grant application, we will ask you questions about your finances. You will be asked to provide information about your household income from benefits, pensions, savings & investments. How much grant you would receive depends on:

  • Your household income
  • Whether you are in receipt of certain benefits
  • Whether you have household savings over £6,000

If you are unlikely to qualify for grant assistance, you may choose to pursue self-funded adaptation works.You will be told the contribution level before a grant is approved and you will have a choice whether you want to go forward with any grant assisted work.There will be no contribution to pay up to the grant limit if the works are for a disabled child. If you are not eligible for a grant we will signpost you to alternative sources of advice about having the works carried out at your own expense.

You would not have to pay anything for a stair lift if it was provided by an Equipment Loan.

Who will carry out the work?

We can appoint our approved contractors to carry out the work for you, in which case we will place all orders and manage all of the work. Our approved contractors will work to our approved specification and standard which we monitor closely to ensure you receive an excellent service.

Can I use my own contractor?

You can opt to use your own contractor. If you choose this option, you will be required to provide suitable estimates from three different contractors. Council officers cannot assist you to identify suitable contractors. We would check your estimates to ensure that the proposals meet your needs. The grant would be awarded against the lowest suitable estimate. If you use your own contractor you will be responsible for arranging the work and dealing with any problems. We will pay the contractor when the agreed work is finished and we have inspected to ensure it has been completed to an acceptable standard and that it meets your needs.

After the work is finished

Works by our approved contractors are guaranteed for up to twelve months after the date of completion. An extended warranty may be provided for certain specialist items.Newcastle City Council will not repair or maintain any equipment installed privately or by any other means other than a Disabled Facilities Grant.

Contact Information

If you would like further information, please contact us:

Care and Repair Service
Newcastle City Council
9th Floor
Civic Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne
Telephone: 0191 211 5836
Email: careandrepairnewcastle@newcastle.gov.uk
Website: www.newcastle.gov.uk

Current Policy: Supporting Independent Living

Page last updated: 
7 November 2017
Was this page useful?