Apply by text
Text 'waste' to '07492 880069' and register to use our automated text permit service where you can receive your permit immediately to your mobile phone and see other waste related information.
You will be asked by text to confirm your name and address. This process takes approximately 1 minute to complete. There may be a slight delay (up to 15 seconds) after sending first text message.
Each time you visit the site you will need to take your driving licence (or other photo identification and proof of Newcastle address), with you along with your text message. Access to the site remains at the discretion of Site Operatives. You should review the 'site usage guidelines' below ahead of you visit.
For full Terms and Conditions (T&Cs) relating to our use of Text Bots and Cognitive Services visit here. You can also see the full list of text based functions you can complete.
Who needs a tipping permit?
Residents of Newcastle who intend to deliver their household waste to one of our Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) sites using any of the following vehicle types will be required to apply for a permit in advance before they are allowed access to the site:
- Van (including Hire Vans)
- Pick-up Truck
- Campervans and Minibuses
- Any vehicle towing a trailer or
- Any vehicle displaying company livery or logo
For safety and reduce site congestion, the following vehicles are not allowed on site:
- Vehicles over 2m high
- Vehicles over 6m long
- Vehicles exceeding 3.5 tonnes
- Trailers exceeding 3m (including the tow bar)
- Dropside vans and Tipper/Flatbed vans
The number of permits for each property can apply for over a 12 month period will be set annually in January. For the period 1st October 2017 to 31 March 2018 each property can apply for up to 6 permits.
Trade waste is not accepted. It is a criminal offence for any trades person or company to use a House Waste Recycling Centre to dispose of their waste. Attendants are instructed to turn away and report any vehicles suspected of trying to dispose of trade waste. Newcastle City Council monitors the sites and prosecutes trade users.
Site usage guidelines
- You might want to consider options other than using the HWRC, including online reuse websites, such as Freecycle and Gumtree and charitable donations. See here for more information
- Only residents of Newcastle upon Tyne can access the sites
- Trade waste is not accepted and if you are suspected of having trade waste you will be asked to leave regardless of whether you have a permit (paper or text)
- If you intend to borrow or hire a van or trailer then you should apply using your home address and if not driving the vehicle accompany the driver to the site
- You must provide your driving licence (or other photo evidence plus proof of residence in Newcastle) along with your text or paper permit to confirm your identity
- Access to the site remains at the discretion of Site Operatives
- Abusive behaviour will not be tolerated on site. You will be asked to leave and may face further action
- It is good practice to sort your waste in your vehicle before you arrive on site and check that the site you intend to visit can accept your items, for example fridges are only accepted at one site. See here for what is accepted at the sites
- For your own safety you cannot bring waste into the HWRC by foot