Noise Nuisance

Report a problem with noise

A noise nuisance is an unreasonable amount of noise from a domestic or commercial property which affects your life in a significant way. It can be upsetting and is more than a simple annoyance.

 The main factors which will be considered by officers are

  • Time of day
  • Location
  • Duration of each noise event
  • Volume of the noise
  • Character of the noise
  • Frequency of noise events

General everyday living noise such as footsteps, banging doors, flushing toilets, talking and children playing cannot be dealt with formally except in very exceptional circumstances.

It is not always necessary for officers to take noise readings to establish if a noise nuisance exists. The judgement of an experienced and independent officer is enough to determine if a noise is a nuisance or not.

What can you do? 

Before contacting the City Council you may wish to contact the person responsible for causing the noise and explain politely that you are being troubled by it. Although you may find this difficult it is surprising how often neighbours are unaware of the problems they are causing. Most will be glad to do what they can to reduce the noise and appreciate a personal approach rather than involving the council'. If the noise continues you may write to them and ask them to stop making the noise nuisance.

What if this does not work?

Report a noise issue online

Please be aware we do not receive anonymous complaints. Following receipt of your complaint the council will write to the property which you are complaining about. You will be asked to give permission for this to be done, if you do not give permission your complaint will be recorded but no further action will be taken.

What will happen after I complain?

Many complaints are resolved once we have written to the noise maker. If the noise continues you will be sent a link to an on-line form where you will be asked to record
the dates and times of any noise nuisance, what the nuisance was and the effect it has on you.
The diary will allow us to establish if the circumstances are serious enough to take formal action and will be used as evidence if legal proceedings have to be taken later.

Contact us

For further information, please contact Public Safety and Regulation, City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.

Phone: 0191 2787878 Email:

Page last updated: 
16 May 2018
Was this page useful?