The Local Government Act 1985 provided for the abolition of the old Tyne and Wear County Council and transferred the functions of Trading Standards over to the five metropolitan districts.
The Act established that the District Councils in the county area establish a Joint Committee which is responsible for co-ordinating:
- the district council's exercise of their enforcement functions under the relevant legislation, with a view to securing uniformity in the exercise of those functions throughout the metropolitan area,
- the employment, provision or use by the district of those functions of staff, property and facilities. Go to our webpage on Metrology
Gateshead MBC is the lead authority for the functions of the Joint Committee and meetings of the Committee take place 3 times a year. To see copies of the recent Joint Committee reports go to September 2014 (pdf 680 kb), February 2015 (pdf 2.88 mb), September 2015 (pdf 650 kb), November 2015 (pdf 1.45 mb), February 2016 (pdf 2.29 mb), June 2016 (pdf 1.63 mb), September 2016 (pdf 1.37 mb), November 2016 (pdf 1.5 mb), February 2017 (pdf 2 mb), June 2017 (pdf 1.6 mb), February 2018. (pdf 1.1 mb) and June 2018 (pdf 682 kb)
In order to highlight and promote the work of the City Council's Trading Standards Service, the service has developed a newsletter, which is programmed in for publication twice a year.
- Issue 1 (Spring 2012) (pdf, 1.7 mb)
- Issue 2 (Autumn/Winter 2012) (pdf, 2 mb)
- Issue 3 (Spring/Summer 2013) (pdf, 1.5 mb)
- Issue 4 (Autumn/Winter 2013) (pdf, 739 kb)
- Issue 5 (Spring/Summer 2014) (pdf, 3.47 mb)
- Issue 6 (Autumn/Winter 2014) (pdf, 1.7 mb)
- Issue 7 (Spring/Summer 2015) (pdf, 2.2 mb)
- Issue 8 (Autumn/Winter 2015) (pdf, 1.4 mb)
- Issue 9 (Spring/Summer 2016) (pdf, 2.3 mb)
- Issue 10 (Autumn/Winter 2016) (pdf 1.4 mb)
- Issue 11 (Spring/Summer 2017) (pdf 1.5 mb)
- Issue 12 (Winter 2017) (pdf 803 kb)
If either a consumer or a business would like to be placed on our email list to receive a copy of this newsletter and all future editions, please email us on email@example.com
For further information, please contact the Trading Standards Service, Public Safety, Regulation and Development, City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.
Phone: 0191 2116121