The City Council no longer provides a Consumer Advice service. Consumers can access any advice that they may need through the Citizens Advice Consumer Service.
Citizens Advice Consumer Service
The Citizens Advice Consumer Service is the government funded telephone and online service offering information and advice on problems with goods and services, energy and post.
Contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06 or visit their website: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/
Newcastle Citizens Advice Bureau
Newcastle Citizens Advice Bureau offers free services providing general advice and information across a wide subject area. Amongst the many services the Bureau offers help with: Debt, housing, benefit entitlements, consumer, and employment issues.
4th Floor, City Library, Charles Avison Building, 33 New Bridge Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8AX.
The Which? Consumer Rights website is a free resource to help consumers solve their biggest issues, from faulty goods and delayed flights, to dealing with scams and dodgy tradesmen.
There are hundreds of easy step-by-step guides and letter templates available to help you seek redress, and simple summaries of important consumer legislation.
Northumbria University Student Law Office
The Student Law Office at Northumbria University offers a free legal service to members of the public facing a range of legal issues. The service is provided by students who are supervised by qualified professional lawyers from the School of Law staff. The Law office deals with over 800 cases annually and have successfully concluded a number of high profile cases.
The Student Law Office can assist consumers by:
- Writing letters on your behalf,
- Helping to negotiate a settlement,
- Advising on court procedure,
They may be able to represent a consumer at court or tribunal hearings.
The Student Law Office can be contacted on 0191 2273909 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to provide details of an enquiry. If the enquiry is accepted the consumer will be contacted usually within 2 weeks, and asked to come in for an initial interview to assess whether or not the Office is in a position to assist.
The Student Law Office only normally accepts enquiries between September and March.
Newcastle Trading Standards Service
In order to find out some more specific information on the work of the Trading Standards Service in Newcastle please go to the following webpages:
- News Update
- Current Campaigns
- Inspections of Filling Stations
- Problems with Diesel Fuel
- Product Safety Alerts
- No Cold Calling Zones
- Publishing and Marketing Scams
- Consumer Rights Act 2015
- Consumer Empowerment Partnership
- Car Clamping Ban
- Guidance for Air Travellers
- Educational Talks and Visits
- Business Service Plan 2017-2018
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
In order to highlight and promote the work of the City Council's Trading Standards Service, the Service has developed and published a newsletter, which we aim to publish twice a year. To view and download the copies of the ten issues of the newsletter as now published go to:
- Issue 1 (Spring 2012) (pdf 1.76 mb)
- Issue 2 (Autumn/Winter 2012) (pdf 2 mb)
- Issue 3 (Spring/Summer 2013) (pdf 1.5 mb)
- Issue 4 (Autumn/Winter 2013) (pdf 739 kb)
- Issue 5 (Spring/Summer 2014) (pdf 3.47 mb)
- Issue 6 (Autumn/Winter 2014) (pdf 1.7 mb)
- Issue 7 (Spring/Summer 2015) (pdf 2.2 mb)
- Issue 8 (Autumn/Winter 2015) (pdf 1.4 mb)
- Issue 9 (Spring/Summer 2016) (pdf (2.3 mb)
- Issue 10 (Autumn/Winter 2016) (pdf (1.4 mb)
- Issue 11 (Spring/Summer 2017) (pdf 1.5 mb)
If either a consumer or a business would like to be placed on our email list to receive a copy of this newsletter and all future editions, please email us on email@example.com
For further information, please contact the Trading Standards Service, Public Safety, Regulation & Development, City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.