Our site is in Beta Live, we welcome your feedback to help us improve the site.
Animal Feed Hygiene Registration
Animal feed plays an important part in the food chain and has implications for the composition and quality of livestock products that people eat, such as milk, meat and eggs.
As many contagious diseases are passed through the food chain, regular inspections are required for both producers and users of animal feed and regulations are in place to ensure that animal feed is produced and used safely, and can be traced in the event of a food/feed safety incident.
The Animal Feed (Hygiene, Sampling etc. and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2015 SI 2015 No. 454, mean that businesses involved in the production, use, transportation, storage or marketing of animal feeds must be registered or approved by the City Council's Trading Standards service or another appropriate agency
These businesses include:
- livestock farms
- arable farms growing crops for feed use
- companies that transport or store animal feed
- food manufacturers selling by-products of food production into the feed chain
- retailers and wholesalers of animal feed (excluding pet food in certain circumstances)
- pharmacists who supply mineral and vitamin supplements for animals.
Are you already registered?
You may have already fulfilled the registration requirement. This would be the case if you are:
- a food business registered under existing food hygiene legislation, or
- already registered on one of the schemes listed in Annex B of the Regulations
- If you are unsure whether or not you need to apply for registration, please contact us.
Your Right to Appeal
Any person aggrieved by the decision of the City Council taken in respect of:-
a) the approval of an establishment under Article 13,
b) the suspension of the registration or approval of an establishment under Article 14,
c) the revocation of the registration or approval of an establishment under Article 15.
How to register
If your business or activity falls into one of these categories and you are not already registered, you should contact us for a Registration form (pdf 215 kb).
Trading Standards service, Directorate of Operations and Regulatory Services, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH. Phone (0191) 2116121. Email: email@example.com