Our site is in Beta Live, we welcome your feedback to help us improve the site.
Apply for a Road Closure
How to apply for a temporary road closure in Newcastle Upon Tyne
Planned closures for roadworks, cranes etc.
All applications must be made online using our online application form.
The cost of a road closure is £1,600.
Progressing the legal order for the closure takes 6-8 weeks, so applications must be submitted a minimum of 8 weeks in advance of the date required.
In order to complete your online application, you will need to have the following information ready to submit;
- A traffic management plan identifying the section of highways to be closed, details of the proposed diversion route, details of signage proposed in compliance with chapter 8.
- Why the Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) is necessary?
- When you want the TTRO to be introduced and how long for?
- Are works to be overnight?
- Any exemptions permitted e.g. pedestrians, cyclists, emergency services, etc.
- Contract details of the person responsible for works and customer services contact details for our website.
- Details of the operatives who will be working on site, this can be in the form of Streetworks accreditation cards.
Please note that making an application for a road closure does not automatically guarantee that permission will be granted, your application will be assessed and one of our engineers will contact you to advise if your proposals can be accommodated.
If your road closure application is to coincide with a Section 50 or Road Opening Notice, please ensure that you apply for these separately first, within the timescales provided.
Emergency road closures
If you require an immediate emergency road closure for an emergency situation, such as a burst water main, or collapsed structure, these should be sent directly to email@example.com and all of the information detailed above will be required.
Closure for events
If your closure is for an event to be held on the public highway, you must first register the event with the Newcastle City Council Events team firstname.lastname@example.org
Once your event has been accepted by the Events team, you can apply for any associated Temporary Traffic Regulation Order and you will need to provide the information detailed above.
Applications for road closures for events should be sent to email@example.com