Reporting Hate Crime
Reporting Hate Crime
Reporting hate incidents and hate crimes in Newcastle
Hate crime, such as racist, homophobic, religious, transphobic or disability incidents, should not happen, but they still do.
Nobody should suffer because of who they are and nobody should have to put up with it.
You can do something about it.
If you, your family or friends are having problems because of your 'race' or skin colour, this is a racist incident.
If you, your family or friends are having problems because of your sexual orientation or transgender identity, this is a homophobic or transphobic incident.
If you, your family or friends have been targeted because you have a disability then this is a disability hate crime.
Some types of these incidents, such as verbal abuse and threats are obvious.
Other examples, such as damage to your property, bullying or rude gestures are harder to identify.
If you believe you have experienced a hate incident, even if you have no proof, report it.
How to report a hate incident/hate crime
Report it to police
You can report a hate incident whether it’s about you, someone else or something you've seen. In an emergency always call 999.
You can report a hate incident to Northumbria Police or to Stop Hate UK.
To report to police you can either ring 101 or use the Northumbria Police online incident report form.
Report it to Stop Hate UK
In Newcastle, hate incidents and hate crimes can be reported through Stop Hate UK.
You can report anonymously or have your details passed onto the police or to local support services.
Stop Hate UK provides independent and confidential hate crime reporting services for Newcastle, whether you are a victim of hate crime, you have witnessed incident you believe to be a hate crime or you are a third party to an incident that could be a hate crime.
Stop Hate UK can be contacted 24 hours a day by:
- Phone: 0800 138 1625
- Web chat: Stop Hate UK web chat (You can chat live to one of their operators. Please note that it may take a few minutes to connect to an operator)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text: 07717 989 025 (Texts are charged at your standard network rate)
- Online: Via the Stop Hate UK online contact form
- Post: PO Box 851, Leeds LS1 9QS
- Text relay: 18001 0800 138 1625 (For people who are deaf, or have speech or hearing impairments)
- British Sign Language (using InterpreterNow): Report using sign language